Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Run in the Park

All week I was planing on running this morning. My running partner had a long weekend so wasn't able to run with me. Congratulations to you and your bride by the way. This morning I decided to go on a long run by myself. With a partner I can push harder, so I was't sure how it would go. I had my old man drop me off by the Paint Branch Trail entrance in Riverdale.


Just before setting out, my feet felt weird. I loosened my laces in hopes that my feet wouldn't fail once on the ground. I get on the trail about 10 am. There were people at Riverdale park. There was a couple walking their dogs. There were 3 sketchy individuals sitting on a picnic table, giving me the evil eye. I looked directly at them as my jaunt becomes a light jog. It was about 80 and cloudy. There were many others out exercising and taking advantage of the beautiful day.

The trail I was on starts in Bladensburg, crosses Riverdale, then College Park. It eventually ends in Beltsville. I was periodically passed by cyclists in both directions. I would pass couples on walks in the park. I was surprised that along this particular path, there were stationary fitness equipment stations on concrete slabs. They were made of steel tubing. I saw a cycle and rowing machine among others. The resistance was provided by your own weight.

I continued on down the path. It was amazing to be surrounded by nature. The greenery. The creek to my right. The sudden flutter of white butterflies. I was in the zone. Nothing could ruin such a beautiful day. This trail passed near The College Park Airport. It was cool because the trail curves around the edge of the end of the runway. You can look over the fence and see the runway and parked planes. The trail also passes Lake Artemisia in Greenbelt. As I'm passing a fisherman, the rain comes.

I needed the rain to cool me down. Since it was a light drizzle, I had no intention of stopping. I passed a few other joggers who didn't seem to be letting a little rain stop them. At this point, my goal was to get back to Baltimore Avenue cut through The University of Maryland and take Adelphi Rd back towards my house. I made a wrong turn on the trail and ended up on Paint Branch Parkway next to the fire fighter training tower. As I position my self on the PBP the rain starts to come down harder. I looked up the forecast and knew that they were calling for thunderstorms. I decided to call my wife to pick me up. As I pull the phone out of pocket, I noticed I had a missed call. I noticed that she had called me already. I her tell to drive towards me and I would meet her along the way. I made it all the way to Richie Coliseum were I wait for her under the bus stop enclosure.

When it was all said in done, I ran 5.6 miles in less than an hour. I killed my 5 k training goal. I also killed my average pace. I usually run a 15, today I hovered around 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment