Friday, June 14, 2013

McBurger Hell

Dollar burgers? Who's frigging brilliant idea was this? Lets sell quarter pound beef patties for one dollar. Not only plain patties, but lets make 5 seasoned varieties. People lose there frigging minds. Normally we sell half pound patties at $5.99 per pound, so they cost about 3 bucks a piece. Lucky for us it's only for one day. It was originally a 4 day promotion. We try to be prepared, but you can never be prepared for something like this. 


This year I convinced my bosses to invest in a automatic patty maker. It was an astounding undertaking but somehow we managed to find a used one. A new one would have cost 2 or 3 times more. I finally got the hang of using it and putting it together. I went in to work 2 hours early because I knew no one else could put it together. I got it up and running and was cranking out patties. At one point it stopped working. I ended up calling the guy that brought it to us, who is also a technician. He told me it was the fuse and to replace it. After I got off the phone, I plugged it in and it started working again. Later I had another issue, because the meat I was running through it was too sticky with the amount of seasoning, it wouldn't function correctly. One of the guys that was helping me suggested I take that flavor out of the machine and use a less sticky batch, which worked like a charm.

The one thing I don't understand is why people never see the value in a bargain. We packed the burgers in 12 count packs for $12. Our intention is to sell more, but also for people to stock up. Everyone kept complaining that they didn't want that many. Everyone wanted 2 of these and 2 of those or just 4 of one flavor. Instead of buying 12 which would normally cost 24 dollars, and freeze some, they want a couple for dinner. It drives me crazy. They do that with anything we sell. When we have a steak which normally is $15.99 for $9.99, they still only want exactly a pound.

When it was all said and done, we got it together and probably made too many burgers. What I thought was going to be an all night ass whopping, died at around 7. Where did all customers go? This was after we changed our approach and started make 4 and 5 packs. I was fortunate enough to get some extra help and put together a great makeshift team on the fly. Thanks for all your hard work Josh, Jose, Tye, and Quinn-Darryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment