Saturday, June 8, 2013

Take me out to the ball game

Today my brother and I treated my dad to a Nationals baseball game. He watches them religiously on TV. He definitely a fan. Nicaragua has a long tradition of baseball not to mention birthing Dennis Martinez. As a kid one of my fondest memories was watching the Orioles and Yankees play on TV with him. That is how I learned the game. I also learned all the old Nicaraguan sayings and puns about the game. Since Father's Day is next weekend, we decided to take him.


When we left the house he had no idea where we were going. On the highway I pointed out the stadium in the distance. I don't think he knew what was up until my wife pulled over in front of the stadium and we jumped out. It was a treat to see him like a kid in a toy store. When his young heroes hit the field. He was loving that Geo Gonzalez started on the mound for the Nats, We were fortunate enough to sit 3 rows back behind first base. He had a wonderful view of first base and the pitcher's mound. He still watched it like he were at home. Calling every pitch and play. 

This only my third major league game. As a kid he took me to see the Orioles play at Memorial Stadium. Back 2002 I got a chance to catch a Yankee's game at the old Yankee Stadium. For some reason this game will always stay with me. It felt like my first game ever. I felt like a little kid. I sang Take me out to the ballgame. I participated when the wave came around. I paid 9 bucks for beers and even made it onto the Jumbotron. Awesome game.

Above all I was happy to bond and spend time with my dad, brother and nephew. I was also happy to realize that the stadium is only one train ride away. No transfers or buses to take. I will be make my way down the Green Line more often this summer. Next time with the ladies in tow, because my mom is as much a Nats fan as my dad it. A few more games and I may be trading in my Yankee blue for Nats red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment