Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What I did and how I did it

People have been asking me how I lost 37 pounds in 4 months. It's called science and routine. I didn't do anything drastic. I didn't stop eating. I didn't spend 2 hours in the gym 7 days a week. I didn't drink juice for the last 4 months. I didn't take any "weight loss" drugs. What I did was easy, deliberate and calculated. This how I did it.


I did this about 3 years ago. I lost 54 pounds in about 6 months. When I gained the weight back and more, I knew exactly what I had to do. It was very simple. Cut out all the bad shit. Basically, too much of anything is bad for you. Sugar, starches, and fat is where I started. I am addicted to Coca Cola, I always have been. The first thing I did was stop drinking everything except water. Fruit juices and diet sodas also have crazy amounts of sugar. To avoid indulging, I cut it all out. Don't get me wrong, I have had a soda or two over the last 4 months. A glass, not a two liter, and on a full stomach to finish off a good meal. Pastries, candy, and ice cream also fall under the 'sugar' umbrella. If you are addicted to these kinds of treats, nothing else you do, including diet and exercise will work until you cut out your sugar intake. It's OK to have a treat, but not a secret stash.

Starches or carbohydrates, were the next to go. There are good ones and bad ones. Complex carbohydrates are found in multigrain breads and high fiber foods. I eliminated potatoes. They sure are tasty and filling, but my body can't break them down. Rice and bread also went away, sort of. I eat rice once a week, and when I'm out, I choose brown rice. Bread comes in wheat, pumpernickel, whole grain, mutigrain and many other manifestations. White bread is stripped of all it's nutrients through bleaching and further processing. Pasta is also a big offender, which can be replaced with wheat, rice, soba, or even spinach or tomato noodles.

Fat. what an ugly word. I'm fat, it's also what's in many foods. Weather you slather it on your bread in butter form or fry your chicken in oil, it's everywhere. No fried foods. You can use so many other healthier cooking methods. Guess what? They have oven 'fried' chicken. You also throw those Ore-Ida fries in the oven under the chicken. Hey, every once in a while I need a tater tot in my life, it's cool, if it's just a few and not the whole bag. Fat is in all condiments. That's why you must use them sparingly. A salad looses it's nutritional value if it's drowning in blue cheese dressing.

OK, let's review. Sugar, starch and fat. Name something that has all three. Everything. Well, not everything. Most things, especially anything that comes out of a box, bag or bucket. The worst offenders are snack foods. That's what keeping us fat. chips, cheese curls, donuts, so forth and so on. You can eat a whole bag and not get full, but consume exorbitant amounts of sugar, starch, and fat. Also fast food. I haven't been through a drive through in months. If it comes in a cardboard receptacle, you guessed it, it's chocked full of sugar, starch and fat. What do those 2 examples have in common? They are processed foods. Let's put down he menu and pick up a cook book.

The biggest thing I did was stop eating processed foods. I cook my dinner everyday. I put together my breakfast every morning. If I have to buy my lunch, I buy something cooked in the kitchen using 'whole' foods. A salad is good, fruit, fresh veggies. Usually anything that is labeled 'diet' will not satisfy you and will blow your budget. Look at all your options and buy something with at least a veggie, and a lean protein. Bigger is not better? Just because it's a 'value' meal, doesn't mean it's more filling. It's a way to feed you more than you need. With some discipline, you can learn to eat half and save some for later.

After adjusting my intake, I began to move. I got off the couch and renewed my gym membership. The same membership that expired 3 years ago when I quit working out the first time. Three years ago, I also took up running. I ran a 10 k then I quit. I always liked it, so this time I decided to go back, and take it seriously. Running is not for everyone. I had to learn how to walk first. I then progressed to running. I usually workout 3 to 4 days a week. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training. Cardio can be anything that makes your heart beat fast and makes you sweat. You can walk or bike around the block. You can play a sport such as racquetball,  tennis, basketball or hand ball. You can dance. You can walk up and down a flight of stairs for a period of time. Anything that you can stand to do 3 times a week for 30 minutes is acceptable. Don't label it 'exercise', just do it. Do it for fun. Weight training is not necessary at first. The cardio will do a lot. After a period of time weight training can help with muscle tone and sagging skin.

That's basically what I've been doing for the past 16 weeks. A typical week for me goes like this. A breakfast of either granola and almond milk or cottage cheese and fruit, or Greek yogurt and fruit or nuts or granola. A piece of toast on occasion. I usually eat 4 to 5 times a day. So I'll also have a mid morning snack consisting of maybe fruit or a sandwich with peanut butter. Then comes lunch. A salad or any green like kale, or spinach. A protein and some fruit or nuts. Afternoon snack is usually after the gym so that means I need a protein kick. A protein shake, cottage cheese or some form of nut. Dinner includes a protein, veggies, beans, or greens. I make everything, or buy it precooked from the local deli. I only drink water. I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week and go for a road run during the weekend. I only weigh myself once a week, usually on Mondays. I also take a  shirtless picture from the front and side every week. I save them and compare as the weeks progress.

The one thing I didn't mention is I choose to stop eating red meat and poultry. I still eat seafood, but mostly vegetarian. I realized recently that my body wasn't processing animal protein like it used to. I also was hearing and reading a lot about 'plant strong' diets. Early on I cut out beef and pork. I then gave up chicken and turkey. I feel good. It's not for everyone. I am not suggesting you do it, unless you feel strongly about it. I will eventually add animal protein to my diet. It will be sparingly. High in protein and lean such as buffalo, grass-fed beef, and lean poultry.

This not a blueprint. this is what worked for me. What I want you to take away from this is that you can make changes in your habits to better your life. Not just to lose a few pounds. It's about living a healthier life. It's about seeing your kids grow up. Do it if your ready to change, don't just do it because I did it and expect it to work because it worked for me. Make a plan, commit and realize that you are human and you will fall, but get up as as many times as you need to and I promise you will see results.



No comments:

Post a Comment