Monday, May 6, 2013

My Body Project: Week 1 - 9

Today marks the 9th week of my "Body Project" When I started working out and dieting my plan was not to lose weight, but get healthy. I didn't do what everyone does and stop eating and go gun ho at the gym. What usually happens when people try to make drastic changes they get discouraged quickly. They feel hungry all the time and they give up on the gym after a sore muscle or an injury.


I've been taking it one step at a time everyday. Walking a little. Biking a little. As the days went by I walked a little longer. Every week I did a extra rep when lifting weights. Then one day I ran for a minute, then two minutes, now I can run for 30 minutes. I started slowly weening myself off of meat. First I cut out pork and beef. I ate chicken and turkey for about 2 weeks, then I went straight to vegetarian and fish on occasion. It's not for everyone but I have really found my way. I've also enjoyed experimenting with recipes and trying new foods.

I had experienced this lifestyle change once before. I changed my diet and exercised regularly about 2 years ago. Then I had one goal and it was to run a race. After I ran my race I went back to my old habits. Over the past two years, I lost my athleticism. I started having trouble breathing on stairwells. The last straw was feeling huge after every meal. The biggest change I made this time around was to give up red meat.

I went from being a meat loving, beer drinking grill master (and a butcher) to a seafood eating vegetarian, smoothie blender runner (and still a butcher) I weigh myself every Monday. I also take shirtless pictures every week to see the differences. I've been working out at least 4 times a week. I eat 4 to 5 times a day. I stay away from sugar, oil, and bread. Over the weekend I acquired a Vitamix blender. It has changed my life in the last 2 days. I've made all kinds of fruit smoothies and juices. I even made sherbet and fresh salsa for nachos.

When I started working out I weighed 236 lbs. Today I weighed 216 lbs. That an average of 3 pounds a week. Everyday my running becomes more fluid. This time my goal is to get healthy and stay healthy. I am running a race in September, but that not my ultimate goal. My ultimate goal is to live to be a very old man and watch my grand kids run around.

March 11th - May 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment