Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lotteria!! [Reader's Choice]

On my Ghettoblaster Facebook page I posted that I was attempting to write 30 blogs in 30 days as a 30 Day Challenge. I was recently challenged to do something I've never done before for 30 days. Since November is National Novel Writing Month, I figured I needed some practice if I was going to write everyday in November to finish my novel. I also challenged my readers to suggest topics for me to write about since I have about 16 more days to go. Christian answered the call and suggested I write about 'Winning the Lottery'  My first thought was, how can I write about something I've never experienced. Then I started to think about what people normally do when they buy a ticket, "If I win, the first thing I'd do is...." Then I though about the things I wouldn't (or at least try not to) do with my money. What about writing about 'winning the lottery in a different context' I also mentally traveled to my childhood trips home where the lottery isn't as you know it. So after a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast this is what I came up with.


Lotteria!!

What is it about the lottery that intrigues people? Does everyone think they are going to become a millionaire that easily? The way I see it, if it were that easy, we'd all be millionaires. I remember as a kid in the 80s being in CVS or People's Drug and watching a lady by like 50 bucks worth of tickets, which by today standards was like spending 200 bucks. Did she win? Who knows. All I know is that her chances were astronomical. Back in like 87 my dad picked 5 out of 6 in the Pick 6 and won about 2 grand before taxes. This was before Megamillions and Powerball.

My parents have always been a once a week, 1 ticket kind of lottery players. Even when the pot is huge they only buy like 2 tickets. The same with me, I only play when it's super high and I buy one ticket. I figure if it's for me, I'll win it. Especially now that the prices went up, a dollar was nothing, nowadays I'd rather spend 2 bucks on a scratch off, where at least I'd have a chance of breaking even. I know people that play the pick 3 and 4 everyday. I've seen people hang out for hours playing Keno. Not me.

When I do take a chance and buy a ticket, I start to dream big. New car, new house for us and the family. College fund for the kid. Pay off what we owe. Start a business, travel and live the life of luxury. When car shopping, I'm not talking about a Lambo, a Benz truck and a Bentley. I'm talking about 2 new reliable cars and a truck or van for hauling. Maybe a couple of bikes for the weekends. The first house that comes to mind after cashing the check is the Scarface house in Miami, the real deal is, we'd probably buy the house we're in and redo it for my parents. Have a functional green minded home built outside of the city with land to run around on. I'd help out the people that helped us out over the years and give a monetary gift to my closest friends. College funds for the nieces and nephews. After the bills are paid, find a charity close to my heard and write them a check. I've always wanted to own a bar, or maybe a record store. When I say travel I don't mean jet setting around the world. I mean buying an RV and travelling the country. I don't wanna live like a millionaire, I want to live I like don't have to wait for my next paycheck.

When I used to travel to Nicaragua as a kid I noticed they had the Lotteria Nacional: La Lotteria Del Pueblo (National Lottery: The People's Lottery) billboards everywhere. I quickly realized that it was administered differently than I was used to seeing here. At least back in those days, you didn't buy tickets at a store like we do here. There would be guys walking around with a clipboard. They had slots like a list. Each slot had a corresponding number. You could buy the next available slot or the slot of your choice. Your name and address would go in that slot and you would get a ticket with your slot number. I'm not sure what the prizes looked like, but I'm sure the dollar equivelant was paltry sum. I did notice in later trips that they also sold scratch offs. These weren't like our scratch offs. I don't even think they had cash prizes. You scratched off little images of a TV, or stove, or a motorcycle. If you matched the winning image, you would win that price. A lady in my aunt's neighborhood won a TV.

The priest at my church once told a joke during a sermon about winning the lottery. He was trying to illustrate that you it's OK to get angry with God and demand his help. A guy was mad that every week when the numbers were chosen he never won. After a while he became angry demanded from God that he win. The numbers came out again and nothing. He yelled in disgust again to God. God finally responded by telling him, My son how do expect to win the lottery if you never buy a ticket.

In Spanish there is a saying, 'te ganastes la lotteria' Which translates to 'you won the lottery' Which is used when you get lucky in anything. For instance if you get a good deal on a really good car. You start a new job and find out you have a great boss and enjoy the work you do. Even with people, if people see that you have an awesome wife or great kids. People would say you have won the lottery with them, equating them to being the prize.

When it's all said in done, like anything else in life, the lottery is a gamble. You take your chances everyday. When you leave the house to go to work or school you don't know if your coming back. When you buy anything, because there is no guarantee you'll get your money's worth. You can win or loose in anything you do. Be sure to hedge your bets on the things you can control like love, friends, work and family. The other things, like the lottery, you treat as what they are, a game. Don't plan on something you can't see and feel. Plan on what you bring to the table and appreciate what you do have, Maybe then you'll be able to accept the responsibility that comes with riches and maybe then God will then bless you with millions.

Want to see my take on a particular subject? Suggest a topic in the comments below and I'll write about them in the order they are received. You are also welcome to click this Ghettoblaster Facebook link and like the page and suggest topics on the timeline. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment