Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Jose and Ilan

Today I had the good fortune of spending a few hours with someone that was truly blessed and brought back to life. I went to high school with this guy. Soon afterward he went off to the Army and I didn't hear again from him until a few years ago through Facebook. I discovered early on that hewas an organ recipient. Last year he was helping sell Donate Life shirts of which I bought and proudly wear. I've always felt that organ donation was important. After today I truly understand the gift that recipients receive. He has asked me in the past about how to go about writing his story. Today I gave him some pointers, but I'm hoping that after reading this he takes on the task and really considers telling his story.


Jose was always friendly, funny and proud of his Honduran heritage. We sat next to each other in biology. We sat and the back, cracking jokes, and doing stuff we shouldn't. The summer of 97 after graduating I heard that he had enlisted and gone off to basic training. Almost 15 years had elapsed before I heard from him again. An amazing thing called Facebook happened to me. I was able to reconnect with many old friends and distant relatives. Some that even live nearby that life has separated us. Like many old schoolmates, Jose popped up. I didn't hesitate to accept his friend request, but like other friends that was it. No messages, or plans to hang out. Partly because he had relocated with his wife and child to Southern Illinois. 

I quickly derived from his status updates that he had a strong faith and that he was the survivor of a heart transplant. Since I've been following his achievements and humanitarian efforts. Among them he graduated from nursing school, he helped sell t-shirts for charity, and traveled to his home nation of Honduras for a medical relief mission. It was great to see that instead of taking his God given gift for granted he chose to excel and give back.

Through Facebook I discovered yesterday that he was heading this way and I extended an invitation to come out and catch up. I really didn't think he would have time because he was only in town for a few days. Since today was my day off, he came by with his son. I didn't know what to expect. First off I've never met a more well behaved, friendly and trusting child. He got out of the car and went directly to shaking my hand. I took his hand to cross because we were in the street and he came with me like he's known me forever. Once inside he felt right at home. He instantly gravitated towards my toys. I don't usually let kids play with my toys, but he asked first so I let him go.

While he played I sat with his dad talking about the good old days. We compared notes about the old gang's whereabouts. He went into his days in the Army and in turn his transplant. It was amazing to see the passion and eloquence which he spoke with. He remembered every detail and left nothing out. I really felt that he appreciated and understood the magnitude of this life saving event. From our conversation, I also gathered that his wife was a large part in getting him through this ordeal. It was definitely inspiring to hear his heartfelt account. As he spoke, all I could think is that he needs to write this book. Through reading my blog he once reached out to me about writing his story. Then as today I simply told him to write. Write little by little until he has enough material to work with, To make it even easier I also suggested he video himself verbally recounting his story. He could then go back and write from his own words which came effortlessly.

While they were here, his son was stuck on an Optimus Prime mask I picked up for Halloween last year. Even after my daughter came home from school he would play with her and other toys, but kept going back to the mask. As they left I give him the mask. I think he did more with it in a few hours than I did in 9 months. I really think that God was behind today's visit and I really hope that /Jose takes the time to put his story on paper and share with the world what he lived through. 

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary today and may your grandmother experience a quick recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment