Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sleep!!

As humans we have a predisposition towards sleepiness. All it takes is a big comfy couch. Why is it that when you start getting into a movie, you get the sleepiest? Head nodding. Eye lids heavy. Whole segments of the story line missing from your cognition of the movie's chronology. Sleepiness can creep up on you when you least expect it. I once fell asleep while driving home. When I came to, I was in the grassy median hurling towards an overpass. Other times like when you have to get up extra early sleepiness is nowhere to be found.


When you are tired anywhere is a fine place to fall asleep. When my daughter was younger, you name it, she fell asleep in it, on it or at at. We have pictures of her asleep in here high chair, and on a basket full of freshly folded laundry. One place I could never fall asleep was sitting in a chair. I'll dose off but never completely fall asleep. Why is it that our fathers fall asleep during church. He would wear his shades so they couldn't see he was sleeping. Now he just sits in his rocking chair in a perpetual doze, only waking when summoned and not when the phone rings or the doorbell chimes, because his hearing is slight.

Sleeping in is overrated. Even when I'm off it seems that I always have shit to do in the morning. If I do want to sleep in, I'm guaranteed to be awoken early by my wife's alarm clock. Once I'm awake and see the sunlight beaming through my window, I can't go back to sleep. When I do actually sleep in I wake up more tired than refreshed. I once slept on and off all day until 4 pm because I had to work overnight. I also can't sleep while traveling. When I was a kid I would fall asleep even on short car rides. Now I stay wide awake during a 4 hour car ride to New York or a 7 hour flight to California.

When it's said and done, sleep is important. Do not neglect your sleeping habits. It is said that anything less than 6 hours of regular sleep is detrimental to your health. 7 to 9 hours is best, and anything over 9 could be a sign of deep health anomalies. Always sleep in loose fitting clothes, such as underclothes or pajamas. Turn off the lights. Even though some of us can sleep fine with the light on, total darkness is conducive to more complete restfulness. Never sleep with the TV on. Even though your sleeping, your mind can pick up on the transmissions from the television. It can either hold your attention although your asleep, making you restless, or affect your dreams' subject matter. So have a small glass of warm milk, which also aides in sleepiness, cut off the lights and the TV, get under the covers, relax your arms and legs and close your eyes. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment