Thursday, December 1, 2011

Finders Keepers

It's 3:04 in the morning. I'm rushing down the stairs to grab something to eat and head to work. Mind you I'm supposed to be on the road by now, if I plan to arrive there by 3:30. Frankly I don't care. Sleep was scarce and I think I'm coming down with something. It took me 20 minutes to get in the shower. I just sat there daydreaming trying to figure out what I was dreaming about. I had a heated debate with myself on whether I should take the time to wash my hair. We settled on doing it in the afternoon. I didn't want to leave the house with wet hair. Not because I don't want to catch cold, rather because I didn't feel like hearing my mom pointing out that I was going out in the cold with wet hair.

I made a sandwich with the leftover fish sticks from last night's dinner. Instead of rushing, I got a glass of O.J. and sat down to watch some news. I never do that. I usually grab a banana or a honey bun and a water and rush out the door. Today I decided to put myself first. It was 3:23 when I put the key in the ignition. I made my way down the road. Usually not much to see at that time of the morning. Once I make it to N.W. I start seeing some random people walking or riding to work. Others waiting for the bus. Depending on the time of the week, on K Street, I'll spot some hookers. On Saturday and Sunday mornings I'll see crowds of people leaving the club. The occasional police car. I always glance over at the Occupy DC tents.

Just before passing 21st Street I vere over to the side street so I can enter the neighborhood I work in. There is an  inconspicuous office building in the middle of the block. One morning I was heading to work I noticed something strange. There was a conglomeration of cars in front of this building. There were a assortment of luxury European vehicles, a stretch Hummer limousine, and a couple of limo buses. I noticed a velvet rope and what looked like a red carpet. It all seemed out of place. Part of me wondered what was going on, another part of me, couldn't careless.

This morning however there was nothing to look at. The neighborhood seemed quite. I sometimes catch students walking to or from home. I made my way into the parking garage. Just before I reached the ticket gate I stopped the car and opened the door to spit. I'm not usually a spitter. It seemed weird even for me. I took it as a good sign, as I realized it was phlegm. To me this meant that whatever I had was trying to get out. I pulled up to the second ticket gate. As usual, since my window doesn't open, I had to open the door and contour my arm around the door to insert my ticket. I make my usual u-turn to park in the same spot I've parked in when I've opened for the past 3 months. Actually, I just started using that spot 3 days ago, I used to park 3 spots to the left.

Something was out of place. The was car parked near mine. I noticed it, because the truck was wide open. As I turned, I hoped that someone was standing near this opened trunk, and I had just missed them. I walk past the silver Toyota. There is no one around. I look straight in, to see if it looks like foul play. I secretly wait for the day that I stumble upon a crime scene to play detective. I was startled to notice a woman's purse and a coat tucked in the trunk. I look around again. The first thing that pops in my mind is that owner of this vehicle, purse, and coat has been kidnapped. Then my common sense kicks in, and I determine that the person just mistakenly left the trunk open and walked away. I look around for the third time and proceed to undo the drawstring on the pocketbook. I notice a brown leather wallet. I open it, "Miriam Acosta". No cash just a couple of credit cards. I open the purse to put it back. That's when I notice a white envelope tucked at the bottom. I pull it out and discover a bank envelope with a thick stack inside. I unfold the flap to see what looks like 20 or so $100 bills. I remove the cash from the envelope, fold the wad in half and stick in the breast pocket of my coat. I crumpled the envelope, threw in the trunk, and shut the trunk.

Alright!!! Come on now!! Do you really think I would do something like that?!?!? Some of you know me better then that. I don't care how much I need it. I would never steal from anyone, even if they wouldn't find out. I actually saw the pocketbook and coat, then I closed the trunk and went up the stairs to work. The door to the store was closed so I was forced to walk through the parking garage to enter the building through the loading dock. The rest of the day, pretty much sucked. Now my back hurts and I'm tired. I'm about to get in the shower to wash my hair and get ready for bed so I can do it all over again. If I find the same car with trunk open again tomorrow, I'm going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment