Thursday, December 15, 2011

A year in the life

It's been almost a year since I started the Ghettoblaster blog. Not something I planned to do. A close friend of mind began one, and encouraged me to try. I did it for shits and giggles and then I became hooked. I never thought I could actually write anything that people would be interested in reading. Like anything else I didn't always write winner's. Some of my blogs garnered more attention then others. It seems that the more controversial the subject matter, the more readership it received.


I still don't think I'm that creative. All I did was tell the truth. I have nothing to hide. However I was threatened on more then one occasion by my mother about writing about my family affairs. I could write anything degrading about myself, but when I mentioned my brother or his kids, I was a piece of shit and such. My mom spends every afternoon watching Caso Cerrado (Case Closed), a courtroom show on Telemundo. In the same fashion as Judge Judy, the judge, Dr. Polo deliberates cases that span from divorce, to custody battles, to dept repayment. She is very vocal and usually goes hard on people that exploit children. They talk about adultery, homosexuality, molestation, and other serious matters. My mother can't miss a minute of it. She laughs and cries. The weirder the case, the more she enjoys it. I think it's hypocritical that she finds entertainment in the dirty laundry of strangers, but when I write how I feel about what's going on around me, she gets a conniption fit.

Not everything I wrote was so serious or even factual. I wrote the occasional poem and short story. I'm not sure many people paid attention to my departures from reality. I think my most successful fiction came by way of my second blog page, The Protectors. I created a fictional vigilante team based on my friends. I finished it. I  still have plans to rewrite the initial series and write a prequel and other side stories. The problem is that I haven't been inspired. I've tried to sit down and bang something out, but I wasn't as inspired as I was when I started the project. I think that it will come to me when I am ready.

One of my personal favorites was Who dressed me? A pictorial of my childhood dressings. Not sure what my parents were thinking, but I ended up in a lot of floral patterns, velvet, and shorty shorts. I also enjoyed writing about my brother during his breakdance days. I posted some cool old pictures with that story. The post I was the most proud of was the story of my father's years as a personal bodyguard to a high profile client in Nicaragua, just before he had to leave his family and home to save his life and find a better future for us.

Before I begin the second year of Ghettoblaster, which begins on January 1st, I would like to re-post some of my most visited posts. I will do a Top 10 list beginning on December 22nd. I will post 1 story everyday from 10 to 1 to end on December 31st. Before I start my best of list, I would like to do a reader's choice. In the comment section, let me know which were your favorite post(s) of the last year. I will not re-post it if it's in the top 10, but I will write a retrospect and a story about the reader. I have some great readers. If it wasn't for you, I'd have nothing to show for my efforts. I hope you all look forward to the top 10, and participate, by sharing your personal favorite post(s). Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. That's easy broski....My fav was How to say Good-Bye....I read that one alot.

    ReplyDelete