Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ben and Alex

With Christmas just days away, and Hanukkah in full swing, I've decided to write about two very special gifts that some close friends of mine have recently received from God. What a better way to celebrate the holidays then with the birth of two healthy baby boys. Two boys that someday will grow up to be strong level headed men. How do I know this? I know because they come from two great families. People that I've had the honor of knowing for many years and that I consider family.


Ben is the son of one of my best friend's cousin. I've had the pleasure of knowing her for over 10 years. Earlier this year, my family and I made the trek to Brooklyn only to be surprised with the wonderful news. I knew from that moment that they would be excellent parents. Ben comes from a combined heritage of Jewish and Colombian, or as his father coined "Jewlombian". Both of Ben's parents are funky and eclectic. They are both well educated and loving people. Just seeing their pictures from the hospital, I can tell they are both hooked on parenthood and will raise a great kid.

Then we have young Alex. The son of another of my best friend's sister. I've known her since she was a kid. I watched her grow up and played big brother. When I heard she was expecting I knew that her mom was probably going to lose her mind. Even though Alex is the 4th grandchild, I know that the birth of her daughter's first born would be a joyous occasion. I was fortunate enough to have witnessed Alex's parents nuptials just over a year ago (one day after my birthday) It was a very festive and classy event. I could see the happiness in the bride and groom's eyes. I knew it would not be long till there would a baby in the baby carriage. As a matter a fact, weeks before I heard the news, I had written to her and mentioned a dream I had about them having a baby girl. Then I found out my dream was a sign. Now they have their Baby G in living color.

As a parent I know that this is the beginning of the best chapter in their lives. There is nothing better for your soul then raising a child. Everyday you discover something you never noticed about them before. You notice all the little things. You'll never forget the first time they roll over, or the first time they eat solid food. When they begin talking and walking and breaking stuff. The best part is their first Christmas. We were so excited during our daughter's first Christmas that we bought her toys that she wouldn't use for years, like a popping vacuum and a Leap Pad. 

The only advice I can give is love them with all your heart, take lots of pictures and videos. Don't take anything for granted and never leave them out of your sight. They are a reflection of you, so watch what you say because they are sponges and digital recorders on stubby legs. My daughter's first words were 4 letter ones. She still makes us laugh everyday and is more and more like us then we care to admit. Now she's 7 going on 30. Next thing I know, she'll be dating, graduating from college. Being a parent is the funnest and hardest thing I've ever had to do. I wouldn't give it up for the world. 

Welcome to the world Ben and Alex. You are very blessed to have the parents you do. You will learn a ton of great things from them and they will learn a ton of great things from you. Listen to what they tell you and know that they will never steer you wrong. You were born with the two best life long friends you will ever have. You will both have incredible lives and make your parents very proud. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Now this is just awesome! Thanks so much 'Gosto. I haven't been up in your blog in a while but boy did tonight pay off in spades. God bless to you and yours as well. I can't help but remember our trip to the Brooklyn flea and your daughter was all about singing to every kidzbop tune there ever was. I can only wonder how soon my kiddo will start being cooler than me and knowing more about music than me and just be caught in the throes of 'growing up.' At this stage it's hard to imagine and all I can do is watch him in awe everyday. Thanks for the advice. I'm off to find a Christmas present for my son. Love you much. Hugs and kisses to you and your fam.

    ReplyDelete