Friday, December 30, 2011

DaPhukWuzDat???????

So, I'm on the green line this morning on my way to work. As usual, the seats are littered with Express newspapers. So people are headed to works, others are doing the tourist thing. I'm already paranoid of many things so I'm mean mugging everyone and keeping my hand tucked under my coat. I never make eye contact.

Suddenly this youngster walks through the train. I'm sitting by the center doors in one of the seats that face the aisle. This kid couldn't have been more than 20. He was dressed normally, jeans a tee shirt and dreadlocks. He announces to the crowd, "Excuse ladies and gentlemen" as he sits in front of me. I instinctively put my hand on my "gun" and look him dead in the eye. I knew that something was gonna go down. He announces that he is hungry and does not want to beg, so is asks if anyone has work for him to do. Come on now, he really though some was gonna ask this guy to shine their shoes. There is complete silence, he looks around. Then he says then can someone just give him some money to eat.

I'm thinking to myself, if this kid gets up or lunges at someone, I'm gonna grab him by the hair and slam him into a pole. No one responds to his plea for a handout. The next thing he did blew my mind. He asked in a disappointed tone. No ones gonna help me? He looks at a poor lady sitting near him and says, "you don't like my, why does nobody like me" as he starts to cry. In tears, and nose dripping. He then says, "That's OK, your all gonna be sorry, cause I'm the black Santa clause" Luckily my stop had arrived. Any more of this guy and I would've caught an assault charge.

As my day went on, I could not help but think about what happened. I realized that this young man was suffering from a mental illness. I felt pity for him. Unfortunately something happened in his life that skewed his sense of shame and self worth. My first instinct was to slap him and tell him to man up and get a damn job. Then I realized that if he doesn't get help, he will end up dead or in prison. I know what it is to be hungry and helpless, but I can thank God for my mental acuity. Mental illness is no laughing matter. I hope he gets the help he needs before it's to late.

No comments:

Post a Comment