Monday, January 17, 2011

What would your rap name be?

Have you ever put serious thought into what your rap name would be? Would it be based on your name, or your size? Would it have a number in it, or would you be named after a notorious criminal?



I think the size thing has been more then over done. For example Notorious B.I.G. a.k.a. Biggie Smalls, Big Pun, Big L, and Heavy D. Then you have the small ones Lil Wayne, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Kim and Lil Cease. I don't wanna be Big Ceas or Fat Ceas. Moderately Overweight Ceaser wouldn't sell records either.

Has anyone ever seen Dr. Dre, Dr. Octagon, Doctor Ice, or Large Professor's degree? I don't wanna be known under a title I didn't earn. Dr. Cease Esquire. How about Professor C or Captain Calogero.

Lately it seems like the stupider your rap name is the more popular you are. Waka Flocka Flame could've used his given name and been fine. He was born Juaquin Malphurs in Queens, NY of all places. Don't get me started on Gucci Mane, word!?!? I recently heard a name and I all I thought, "how unoriginal".  50 Tyson, did he name himself after 50 Cent and Mike Tyson? I don't know, but I was impressed when I saw a video he did explaining that he lives with Autism after other rapper's and comedians made fun of the way he rapped.

There are rap names I do like. Such as Prime Minister Pete Nice, Lord Finnesse,  Rah Digga and Ghostface Killah to name a few.

The names that annoy me the most are names taken from criminals. Some are easy to figure out like Scarface, Noriega a.k.a N.O.R.E. and his partner Capone. One criminal's name and nickname were both stolen. "Freeway" Ricky Ross was a well known drug trafficker in L.A. in the early 80's.

Has there ever been a rapper named after a scholar or someone good? How come there hasn't been a rapper named Gee Washington or Shakespeare or MC Freddy Douglass? I guess Lil Jesus or Malcolm Ecks wouldn't have sold many records.

Unfortunaly female rapper's haven't had the best name choices either. Mc Lyte, Yo Yo, Salt and Pepa, Da Brat, and Remy Martin were some weak rap names.

Then again does the name really matter? If the rapper is nice with his or hers. It doesn't matter what name they use. I guess the weirder it sounds the more memorable it will be,

For now my name is Ceas Calogero, Ceas for my middle name and Calogero for my future son.

What would your rap name be? What is the best or worst name you've heard? Throw your answers in the comment section below.... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment