Monday, January 3, 2011

Baby it's cold outside

Everyday when I drive to Baltimore I pass numerous people on their morning jogs. I always think, "I need to be out there". The cold has always been a hindrance for me. Over the New Year weekend the temps had climbed into the 50's. Of course I decided to wait to run until today. This morning when I ventured out the weather was a comfy 30 degree Fahrenheit.


I ran a 10K on Thanksgiving day, but soon after I came to a screeching halt. Some of it had to do with my work. I work in a meat market and from Thanksgiving to the end of the year business is nonstop with all the food related holidays.

I whipped out the long sleeve technical tee, and some track pants. Layers up top is where my focus is when running in the cold. I threw a sleeveless tee over the long sleeve and a pull over wind breaker with a wool cap. The only thing I forgot was my trusty gloves.

When you first step out, you know it's cold. Usually if it's not windy it doesn't feel that bad. I start with  a light jog. Your lungs start filling up with freezing air. All that comes out is steam. I run harder. Surprisingly I'm feeling good. Considering I hadn't run in over a month. I'm moving with ease. My legs and ankles don't hurt or feel tight. If anything I thought my breathing would be difficult, but it wasn't.

I ran a distance of about 2 miles away from my home. I made it to my childhood church St. Mark's. I was feeling great. My body had warmed up. I didn't feel cold or pain. I stretched and drank some water. I started the second leg of my run towards home. It's like my legs were suddenly overcharged. I sprinted most of the way home. Before I knew it I was a quarter mile away. I walked/jogged the rest of the way back.

I hate running in the cold. Considering I only started running in March of last year. Most of my training had been done above 50 degrees. Running in freezing cold has an unsavory quality to me. Today everything seemed to align. It felt like a summer day once I got warmed up. I think I will continue most of my winter training indoors, but I will do at least one outside jog a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment