Saturday, January 1, 2011

Is it better to be loved or feared?

You know the old saying "Nice guys always finish last". This has been the way I have lived my life for the past 31 years. I live to make everyone else happy. I can't say no, and everyone knows it.



I will allow people to cut in front of me in line, even if I've been waiting for a while. I can't stand being known as the bad guy. I love to be loved. Unfortunately I never get any respect.
Being in a position of power, this is my biggest weakness. I'm a door mat that has "Welcome" on it.
So the question is, "Do I continue with my happy ignorance?" or "Do I become the bad guy?".


I feel sometimes that being the "nice guy" has marred my whole life. I work hard, pay my taxes, treat everyone fair and I have nothing to show for it. There are people out there that steal, rob, and cheat and are doing just fine. I sometimes feel like I'm wasting my time. It would be easier to knock someone over to get what I want.
Is being a decent person holding me back? I'm too loyal, but to who? A bunch of people that would sell me out for a pastrami on rye.


Today was the first day of the year, and someone already managed to take advantage of me. Now, do I let it slide off my back? Maybe it's time I nip it in the bud, and make it known it's a new year and new mat.


Being loved is nice. Being feared is better. I just want to be respected.

2 comments:

  1. Respect comes with fear buddy.....That's why I respect my parents so much cause they beat the shit outta me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, back in the 80's we got ass whoopings, now these kids will press charges.

    ReplyDelete