Saturday, January 14, 2012

Whack rappers and the demise of radio

Why do the things we grew up on seem better than what's out now? Nothing like those Saturday morning cartoons we watched as kids. Even the commercials were better back then. I guess every generation goes through the same situation. My parents never understood the music I listened to. The good thing is they influenced me so much that I listened to a lot the same stuff they did.

I guess when you get to a certain age you just don't like new music. I was born in 1979. I came to the states in 1981. I remember all the pioneers. Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Run D.M.C. to name a few. I was also raised during the golden age of Salsa. Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, El Gran Combo the Puerto Rico among others. In 88' the best era in Hip Hop began. KRS-ONE, Epmd, N.W.A., Rakim so forth and so on. In the 90's it was on. You had The Wu-Tang Clan, Biggie, Busta, Nas, Pac. After 2000 it all went down hill. I know that when you get older you don't really understand the "kids" music. It's not that I don't like or understand it because I am old, it's just WHACK!! Plain and simple. They have no style or finesse anymore. Anyone with a YouTube account can become famous. Don't get me wrong there are a few brothers that are doing it, but in general the culture and genre is all but dead.

I hate to sound like a hater. I was blessed to have lived through the golden age of hip hop. I know what good sounds like. These dudes don't even aspire to sound good. They just wanna sell records and front. It's not the same thing it was 20 years ago. I would rather listen to the Rock station. The "Rap and R&B" stations are becoming even more mainstream. They play a lot more pop music then ever. I happen to like Adele and Maroon 5, just didn't think I would here on WPGC. I would rather listen to an oldies Hip Hop station. It's all about the money.

I say we stop listening to these whack ass radio stations and boycott. You have more then enough music on your phones and Ipods to never listen to the radio again. Fuck it, Pandora, Spotify, and AOL Radio has a better flow. I would rather not listen to anything then waste my time with radio, kill it. I think radio is obsolete and since they aren't playing anything worth hearing they should use the medium for information and education. I would rather hear books on tape or historical recordings. Classical music has even disappeared from the airwaves. When I was growing up, there were a handful of Classical Music stations. Now I couldn't find one. I think that radio should be a bit more culturally enriching, instead of polluting our minds and ears with "highest bidder" rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment