Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Problem Is

What's that smell? I think someone is cooking beef downstairs. I have a slight discomfort in my side and shoulder blade so eating would be a bad idea. My wife is showing my daughter states flash cards. "Arizona!!" she yells. My wife just asked her if she knew anyone that lived in Arizona. She had a puzzled look on her face, then my wife said Spook. She responded with "Oh"


I'm watching BBC World News. There is a lot of shit going on today. A Iranian nuclear scientist lost his life during a simulation today (correction: He was murdered, they're trying to blame the U.S.) In Nigeria the president is using armed thugs to threaten labor unions protesting against the government. Apparently in Japan relationships are a thing of the past. Men don't want to take the time to court, and women are becoming more independent. No relationships means no marriages which also means that the population does not thrive. The government is offering incentives to people to give birth, but even that is not encouraging the Japanese.

We've been watching British television all afternoon. It's starts at 1pm. Everything from Last of the Summer Wine to Keeping up Appearances to Are you been served? and even Antiques Road Show. I was never a fan of British sitcoms. My wife on the other hand has been watching these programs for years. I've caught on and actually enjoy them. Even though some of the shows are dated, they are still relevent and funny. I even like a show called Lark Rise to Candleford. It's a drama set in the 1800's. I guess I like it because it is a period piece and features a lot of antiques and costumes from a far gone era.

Tomorrow I have to work early in the morning. I'm thinking about going in extra early just to get everything done. I have to get ready for a big "one day sale" on Friday, so that means I have to cut extra meat and make sure that displays are switched to better promote the sale. All this work for one day. The problem is if we don't do the "song and dance" they assume that we failed and we could've done better if we did more. That means we have go above and beyond and still rank at the bottom and show a 2% sales increase for the day. The problem is that even though there is a drastic reduction on the product, we still pay full price at cost. That kills our profit margin. Another problem is that even though it's a good deal, our customer's still only buy a pound or less at a time. They don't see it as an opportunity to stock up. They don't realize that if they pay $9.99 today they'll pay $15.99 tomorrow, so the best thing to do is buy more, save it and pay less. They see it's $7.00 off a pound. They would rather pay 5 bucks for half a pound which they would normally pay 8 bucks for half a pound.

I just wanna make it to 8pm Friday night when I get picked up by wife from the Metro. I'll be off Saturday so I'm thinking dinner and maybe a movie after she picks me up. Not sure what I will do on Saturday. I'm not going to put the alert out, because no one ever responds. I'll just go Thrift Store shopping. I might look for an indoor flea market. I'm thinking about March for my vacation. I wanna go to New Jersey and New York and maybe Philadelphia. All through back roads, hopefully I find some roadside antiques and some impromptu picking opportunities. For now I will prepare myself physically and mentally for my next two shifts and remind myself that I need this job, and that my bosses are only doing theirs. I need a good day or two, but more then likely I will have to deal with 50 pounds of bullshit in a 5 pound bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment