Wednesday, April 11, 2012

This rant was brought to you by 4 Beers and 2 Whiskey and Cokes

With great power comes great responsibility, and with great responsibility comes great stress. Why is nothing as easy as it looks. So. what if I'm in charge. I can't get through a day without someone wanting me to fix something or complaining about some frivolity. Why do people think that because your the boss you have to give a fuck about all their insecurities. There are more important things in life. I don't need you to tell me how great you are, I need you to show me that you can cut the mustard when things get tough.


Last week I worked 7 days in a row, and yet failed has a manager. The department never was quite where it needed to be. Then we lost 16 grand. Who loses 16 grand? I guess it's the blind leading the blind. They want me to tell them what to do every second of the day. While praising them every 5 minutes. I don't have that kind of attention span. I have more then enough shit to worry about. Do your job, and leave me be. I just want to punch someone in the throat, buy a 6 pack of Brooklyn Summer Ale and call it a day.

Then a close family friend dies. I've known her 4 boys since they were baby's. When my father first came to the States, he rented a room from her family. She was a teenager then. After years of stress, fighting a weight problem and alcohol addiction, her body finally gave in. When I heard, my jaw dropped. She seemed fine the day before. Her youngest son came home, and when he checked in on her, he realized she was gone. What a terrible discovery. She was the heart and soul of that family. She raised those boys to be good men, and fathers.

What does that it all mean. Is all the stress and bullshit of being the boss worth it? I always imagine dying on my feet on the job. A sudden massive coronary brought on by a combination of obesity, stress and rage. No one is going to give a fuck. Life will go on. Who cares. Yet at home I will have a widow and fatherless child. My parents will probably grieve to death. I really need to reevaluate my life and what motivates me to get up everyday. I give my best everyday, just so people can't say that I didn't care. Guess what, it doesn't matter. Your only as good as your last "atta boy" Today you could be a hero, and tomorrow on the brink of being booted out the door. All this stress and self doubt doesn't amount to anything. I'm going to miss my daughters childhood, and continue to drift apart from my wife, for what? A couple more dollars and a title that doesn't mean anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment