Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Memories

It's strange the stuff we remember about people. For instance there are people you only know by their nickname. You can't remember "peanut's" name to save your life. However you'll never forget the time in the 5th grade his mom was waiting at the bus stop and beat his butt while wearing a house coat. Some people are good at remembering numbers. Others like my wife are good at birthdays. My daughter on the other hand remembers everything. Its true she's only 7 but she remembers every butt whooping she has gotten. Every birthday and Christmas present she has gotten after the age of 2 and who gave it to her. It's amazing really. I pride myself on remembering random stuff.


Today at work I ran into one the people that helped me along the way to get where I am today. He hired me 8 years ago. He also taught me a lot of techniques I use to this day. When I saw him all these random memories came to mind. I remember he used to eat fresh ground beef as it came out of the grinder. He would stick a wad in his cheek like chewing tobacco. I also remember he once told he had a girlfriend that kept a gun under her pillow. He laughed and told me that he couldn't believe how I could remember that story after all these years.

My brother-in-law used to be a bus driver back home. He once told me that a drunk guy got on the bus and wanted to fight. He pulled over and told the guy to get off. He wouldn't, so he kicked him out. The guy got up and came at him. He kicked him off again. The guy was still trying to fight, so my brother-in-law grabbed the cash box and smashed it over dude's head and knocked him out. Whenever I see him I ask him to tell it again. Another time he was hanging with a cousin of mine. They were sitting on a porch drinking and playing cards. Some guy comes out of nowhere and says to them, you see this fist, I just knocked a cow out with it. My cousin gets up and walks over to the guy, punches him in the face and says cows don't punch back. It's weird but these are the fond memories I have of my brother-in-law.

My dad has a an old friend that once stayed with us. When I think of him all I remember in this one Thanksgiving. We all went to church dinner. They served food and played games. I remember playing musical chairs. My dad's friend won. He asked what the prize was, and they told him a turkey. They sent it in a black roasting pan with lid. He was excited. When we got home he opens to the roasting pan to admire his beautiful bird. What was in it? A turkey skeleton. All the bones and drippings from the turkey they served. He was furious. It was so funny, and we still have that roasting pan today.

The memory is an amazing thing. I still remember my 5th birthday party in Langley Park. The thing is I only remember certain things, and not what you think I would. I can't remember what my cake looked like or what presents I got. I do remember that they played La Murga and other Willy Colon and Hector Lavoe Hits. I remember that my dad and his buddies from AA were there. I also remember that I got a cartoon themed wall projector. The rest is a blur or what I pieced together from pictures.

Memories are a beautiful thing to have. Even when people are gone they live on in your mind. They also transport you back to the good old days. Cherish the good ones and learn from the bad ones. What ever you don't remember wasn't probably memory worthy in the first place. The most important part about memories is to make them. Spend time with the people that really matter. Don't take anything for granted because tomorrow you could be a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment