Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I love it when you call me big poppa

Today marks the 14th anniversary of Notorious B.I.G. a.k.a. Biggie Smalls a.k.a. Christopher Wallace's death. At the time Biggie was only 24 years of age. He was discovered by Puff Daddy at the age of 19. At which time he was still dealing crack in the Bed Stuy area of Brooklyn New York.


In his short career Biggie managed to cement his place in Hip Hop history. He only released one album, Ready to Die, while still living. Three more albums were release posthumously. His second release, Life After Death, was a groundbreaking album. Since his demise no one has been able to fill his place in Hip Hop royalty and most importantly King of New York.

To this day when they play anything with him on it on the radio, I lose my mind. His voice was one and only. His style and delivery unmatched. More then a decade after his death his songs still bump. They play it at the club, everyone is singing along. No one will ever know for sure what Hip Hop could have been if he were still here.

Something not a lot of people know is that I'm not the only Biggie fanatic in my household. My mother has been a devotee of Biggie since his death in 1997. I think it has something to do with the fact that he was so young when he died. She saw his mom on TV and immediately sympathized with her loss. I think with my lazy eye Big reminds her of me. For whatever reason she always lights up when she sees him on TV. She always brings me newspaper and magazine articles about him. If he's on TV she tells me what channel it's on. She even asked a guy on the Metro once where he got his Biggie shirt. She also knows that I'm a huge biggie fan.

This blog is dedicated to the memory and legacy of Christopher Latore Wallace. Born May, 21 1972. Below are videos about his memory and some of my favorite Biggie joints. God bless.


Notorious B.I.G. -Juicy & Warning ft. Puff Daddy, Snoop Dogg

Shaq discusses friendship with Biggie

Method Mans speaks about Big and Pac

Biggie and Tupac freestyle at the Tunnel

Biggie freestyling at the age of 17 in Bed Stuy

The Lox and Biggie freestyle of C.R.E.A.M. beat

Ten Crack Commanments

Unbelievable

Kick in the Door

The What featuring Method Man

Brooklyn Go Hard Featuring Santigold

No comments:

Post a Comment