Monday, March 14, 2011

First day of spring

Yesterday was the first unofficial day of spring. It was a long and eventful day culminating in me crashing in my bed at 11am this morning. It all began Saturday afternoon.


The cousin, Clyde, and yours truly hit up the CDepot for record shopping. Since my last visit they have gotten a lot more organized with their vinyl selection. Unfortunately their Hip Hop section is whack. Nobody wants Silkk the Shocker's first (or any of) album. I did however stumble on a gem on the way out. I bought The Go Go Posse from 1988. It features E.U., D.C. Scorpio, Rare Essence, Little Benny & The Masters, and Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers. Best 2 bucks I ever spent.

After leaving the record store we headed back home. Through a series of texts we ended up going to Nelson and Marco's. I have some cousins that live down the street from the boy's place. We ended up parking near them so I decided to go say hi. While I was there I got a call from Nelson. He says, "Hey dude where are you?" So I told him. He then says, "Can you get me a can of tomato paste?". I've been hanging out with this dude a long time. I would've expected a request for beer, whiskey, ice, or even food, but tomato paste? I had no idea what we were in store for. I raided my cousin's cupboard and found two cans of tomato sauce.

We cross the street to the boy's place. As we walk in it's not what I expected. A friend of the boy's was preparing a homemade lasagna to compensate for the use of their washer and dryer. Nothing like watching a "from scratch" lasagna come together. She started with her own sauce. When the ricotta came out of the fridge, I knew it was on. That lasagna was so good.

After we ate the beer pong table came out. I was up against the chef. She had never played, and had no control of the paddle. You would've thought I was going to win. I didn't win, but I made two improbable shots. On a serve the ball bounced of her paddle and landed nestled in the top of her shirt. A couple of serves later, I was aiming for her cup, the ball hit the rim, came back my way and landed in my cup.

The night ended with a lot more beer, Jenga, Connect Four and Jack Daniels. Thanks to daylight savings time, I made it to bed by 1am. The plan for Sunday was to get up at 6:30 to meet Mario at 7:30 mass. I woke up at 6:24, which actually was 6:35, because I set my clock 11 minutes slow. I took a shower and when I was getting ready I realized it was after 7. I make it out of the house at 7:25. I'm driving down the street to the church and I text Mario to save me a seat. When I pull into the parking lot I noticed to two things. First, the parking lot wasn't very full. Secondly, I didn't see Mario's car. I went in and sat down I tried not to stare, but was pretty sure I didn't see him there. After mass I called Mario because I was also supposed to help him move. He calls me back. Like I suspected his clock wasn't set and he over slept.

After stopping for some coffee, and breakfast I headed to Mario's. We went to get his parents van for the move. He gets a call from Marco and Nelson, who are just getting up around 9. They were on their way. We didn't see them til about 11. We started with the easy stuff. We broke down the bed and took it down with the night stands. The coffee table, and empty drawers from the dresser. By the time the boys showed up, the van was full and we had heavy stuff left. Nelson drives a Jeep Wrangler named "Black Betty" (like the song). They decided that they would put the dresser and the mattress in the Jeep, even though I doubted they could. They took down the top, put up the top, and took down the top. We finally got it in, not before pushing the front seats all the ways up and in the full upright position. The mattress was laid on the roof held down by one shoddy bungee cord. I sat in the front, and Marco rode in the back with his legs under the dresser. We were in charge of holding the mattress down for the 5 minute drive.

Since the day was still young after we finished, Mario decided to cook out. The was the best idea ever. It was about 60 degree out. The beer was ice cold, and Mario Sr was on the grill. You could tell men were eating. Every course was a meat. We started with skirt steak. Followed by short ribs, sausages, and chicken hearts. We buffered the meat with white rice. Everything was delicious. We all had a great time. Eating drinking and talking about whatever. I left about 2 to get ready for work.

I got in the bed around 4 and tried to sleep until 12. I got as much rest I could. Of course after a day full of manual labor, drinking and good laughs, I still had to go to work at 2 am. I was so drowsy all morning. I kept dosing off when I was supposed to be looking at the computer screen. I made it home by 11am. I never take a nap after inventory, but today was different. I passed out for about an hour.

Up until last summer, I had no social life. Thanks to my brothers I've learned how to live a little. Since this was our first weekend of Spring I was glad we were able to spend it together. I also want this to be the standard for the rest of spring and summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment