Friday, February 4, 2011

Wheelchair Dream

So last night I had an odd dream. I was out in Hyattsville by a shopping center. I began moving through the parking lot. I realize I'm in a wheelchair. I panic, not because I'm suddenly confined but because I have to be at work in Baltimore in a few hours. I start moving as fast as my arms will take me. I notice snow on the ground.



I ride my wheelchair on the street. Most of my trip was downhill, so I was moving very fast. It was kind of fun. I have no idea where I am or where I'm headed, I just know I have to go to work in Baltimore . Suddenly I find myself in downtown Silver Spring. The sun is out and seems like a summer day. Now I notice that all the streets seem to be going uphill. I struggle but I keep moving trying to figure out which way to go to get to work in Baltimore. I ride up this street, that I know very well, but this time it is a dead end. I turn left onto the right side of the street. I see this tall brick wall. I roll up to it. I reach my arms up to the edge, and try to pull myself up with the wheelchair. I can't pull myself over. I get on the street to go around the wall. There are cars in the way. So I stand up, pick the chair up walk around the cars get back in the chair and continue on. I notice a couple of ATMs. I stop to get money, but don't know what for. I just know I need to figure out how to get to work in Baltimore. I keep going. I make it down to a street where I have to turn left or right. I make a left. I look down the street and notice a Metro station on the left. As I pass the station I see a friend from work. She asks what I'm doing out there. Not surprised at all that I am in wheelchair. I don't answer, I just ask her whats the quickest way to get to work in Baltimore. She tells me the Metro.


I begin to go back the way I came. Suddenly I wake up. I turn to look at the clock. It's 3:30am. I was getting up at 4am. I lay there and wait. Finally at 3:50 I decide to get up. When I stood up and started to walk out of my bedroom I noticed my arms were sore.


I know that all dreams have a meaning. I don't feel that this dreams was warning me that I would be disabled. I think the wheelchair was metaphor for the things that are holding me back in life. At first everything was smooth sailing and little to no effort was needed as everything was downhill. Like in life sometimes thing seem to be going great. Everything seems to fall into place. All of a sudden everything became uphill and I ran into dead ends and then that wall. Also like in life when you think everything is perfect you run into dead ends. Stuff happens that discourages you. The last thing that I got from this dream is no matter how good or bad things are, all I strive for is to get to work in Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment