Thursday, February 10, 2011

I do this for them

Love. What does that mean? With Valentine's around the corner there is a surge in sales of cards that say "I love you" in many clever ways. Some are funny, some have a religious twist, some are super romantic. "Thank God for your love", "My life would not be the same without you". Do people buy these because they don't know how to say it? Also to go with that insincere card you have a slew of stuffed animals and novelty gifts to choose from. My lady knows I really love her because I gave her a white teddy bear with a heart on the chest that reads "I heart you". If I was gonna write a card to my wife it would go a little something like this.


Yo!! First of all thank you. Thank you for putting up with me for another year. Thank you for being a great mother to our little girl. Thank you having my back. Thank you for not leaving me even though we struggle to make ends meet. I can't lace you with the illest shit, but when you need something it's yours no matter how it comes. You may not like me most of the time, but you show me love when the time is right. Eight years ago you agreed to marry me someday, and someday when God hands me the world I'll take your hand and enjoy the world and everything in. Through thick and thing, I got you, don't forget it.

Of course the front of the card would have a picture of me giving her the gas face rocking a Yankee fitted like usual. Love isn't a one day deal. Valentine's is designed to give Florist's and Chocolate Maker's a nice payday. So what if it's a commercial gimmick. Your gonna be the same one downing some green beer in March and watching the fireworks in July.

In my case I show my loves love everyday of the year. I may not give them flowers and candy. I get up at 3am without a single complaint. I make that one hour drive to work everyday. I don't do that shit for me, I do it for them. If I don't work, they don't eat. When I have money I buy them gifts like groceries and medicine. I will never stop. Love is being what your loved ones need you to be.

Valentine's isn't only about showing your girl and dude how you feel about them. Buy mom dukes some flowers. Call your best friends and say what's up. Say thank you to those people that got your back on a daily basis. Love is not about pretty flowers, tasty chocolate's, shiny bling or fragrant perfumes. Love is telling people what they mean to you before it's too late.

My Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment