Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's Febuary, what are you going to celebrate?

Welcome to February, how are you going to celebrate the second month in the year. For those that don't already know, February is the month designated for some very important commemorations, even some you didn't know about.



When you think of February, you may think of the 14th. Valentine's Day. Some people look forward to it, some hate it. I think it depends on whether the person is in a relationship at the time. Some say that you should show your love and appreciation year round, which is true. I like the idea of one day, where you can be goofy, and give flowers that will die and candy that will be eaten to the people that make you happy. When else am I gonna have the need to where heart print boxers, give my wife a teddy bear with a heart on it that costs 3 bucks to make, and I pay 30 to buy in it's pretty bag with a ribbon. For Latin Americans, it not only means to show love to you partner, but Valentine's in Spanish is referred to as "El dia del amor y amistad". Translated it mean "The day for love and friendship". You also show your friends V-Day love through funny cards and novelty gifts. I don't know about you, but I miss the days when we used to decorate a tissue box to give and receive valentines in the classroom. I was always a romantic. I would give everyone the generic valentines in the cartoon character of my choosing. For the one girl in class I had a crush on, I would do something special. I would have my mom buy me an actual Valentine's card. One year I even stole one of my mom's Avon rings and gave it to a girl I liked. I was in the first grade. I never knew what she thought. Coincidentally I did graduate from high school with that girl, not sure if she knew I was the same kid that gave her that ring when she was six.


Other people may think of Mardi Gras. Fat Tuesday is celebrated the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. New Orleans being the hub of all things Mardi Gras in the U.S. I've never had the privilege to have attended a Mardi Gras. From what I heard and have seen on TV, it's a huge party. An excuse to drink and be lewd in public and crowd Bourbon Street. Mardi Gras is also celebrated in other countries around the world including Canada, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Sweden.


Some commemorations encompass the entire Month. February is Black History Month also known as African American History Month. It has been celebrated in U.S. and Canada since 1976. Carter G. Woodson originated it as Negro History Week in 1926. Black History month is also celebrated in the United Kingdom, except theirs is in October. I've heard people complain that they gave Black History month the shortest month. Really you should teach your children about their culture and history year round. Whether they are African American, Latino, or a combination of cultures. BET is going to be premiering movies to commemorate Black History Month beginning Thursday, February 4th. BET Blackbuster Premieres for Black History Month


The month of February also commemorates other lesser known celebrations. Heart Health Month is a good time to start living a better heart healthier life. What better time to stop smoking or you can start doing regular exercise and healthy eating. Your heart would certainly benefit from it.


Another thing February is used to commemorate is the Sweet Potato. National Sweet Potato Month is throughout the month of February. Sounds delish to me, I  like the pie, but they have recipes for all three meals and other desserts.


Library Lover's Month is also in February. This one is lesser known, but I think a great idea. Commemorate by getting your kid their first library card. For the ones that aren't quite reading yet, use this month to start exposing them to the library. Take them so they can pick out a book for you to read to them. It's never too early to educate and show your kids to appreciate their local library. Check with your local library to see how they are celebrating the month.


Last but not least. Pet Dental Health Month. Yes people your dogs and cats have teeth, and like your teeth they need to be taken care of. Did you know that a dogs teeth should be brushed daily? This might be the month were you take your pet for their first annual dental exam. They can be affected by gingivitis and other dental ailments. Preventive care is the key. Don't have a pet? Maybe this is the month where you give an animal a good home. Shelter's are full of pets looking for a family to love and care for them.


Well I hope you enjoyed learning about how important the month of February really is. No matter how you celebrate, just remember to have fun and be safe. Love, remembering your ancestors, health, literacy, and pet health should be a year round celebration.

1 comment:

  1. Pet dental month? You have a crazy calendar at your disposal! I've never heard of this! Good research. :)

    ReplyDelete