Friday, April 19, 2013

It's Over?

What a week it has been. As an aspiring marathoner, I was personally disgusted by the vicious terrorist attack Monday on the innocent people of Boston. I as many of you could not understand why someone would commit such a gruesome act. In addition to the 3 victims, I was disturbed by the hundreds of injuries, especially the poor men and women that lost their limbs.


I took it very personal for many reasons. First I am a runner. I may not be ready for a marathon, but I love and take pride in my running as I imagine all runners do. The reason that it hit closest to home was the death of an 8 year old child. He was waiting near the finish line for his father, such as my 8 eight year old would if I were running a marathon. The last thing has less to do with the attack than with the media's constant meddling. As I watched coverage directly following the attacks and as the authorities closed in on the suspects late last night, I quickly realized that the media was jumping to conclusion. They would they make assertions before official statements were given? Then they would try to coerce the people that they interviewed to corroborate their assumptions.

When the smoke cleared one of the suspects was dead and the other fled with injuries and was found in a boat. To get to that point, a MIT security officer was killed, the suspect had a standoff with the authorities, then a city wide and surrounding town shut down and man hunt. Crowds of people in the streets chanting "USA USA" In 24 hours they went from not knowing who did it to names and pictures. Now they seamed to have had connections to extremists and one of the suspects was once interrogated for being associated with radicals. 

What now? We've only just begun. First hey need the surviving suspect to recover from his injuries. Then they need him to talk. After that 2 years minimum of trial. How on God's green earth will he get a fare trial in the state of Massachusetts? Who's going to be the poor sucker that will have the duty of representing him and try to prove that he didn't do it. If you think this week was an emotional roller coaster wait for the circus that will unfold over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment