Saturday, March 30, 2013

How Can I Help You?

What ever happened to the art of being a gentleman. Why don't we say please and thank you anymore? Why don't we hold doors and pull out chairs. I still believe in giving my seat to a woman on a crowded train. People don't have time for manners anymore. 

I guess I get it from my father. He always said hello to everyone. He never treated anyone disrespectfully. I like him, speak to everyone in the room. I tip generously and I thank everyone, even when I do something for them. I don't think people know how to handle it. they assume that I'm going out of my way because I want something in return. I treat everyone with the utmost respect. If they don't pay me now, they will eventually repay the favor. 
I ask everyone if they need help. It's in my nature. When I see a person struggling with groceries or luggage I offer help. When I'm shopping at the grocery store, I've been know to front a shelf, especially in the meat case. People almost always say no. Not no thank you, but no in a distrusting manner. They don't understand why a complete stranger would want to help them. 
There are some people that after the millionth time they finally give in and accept my help. I say your welcome and continue on with my business. I guess they figure that I take it as a personal affront if they don't let me help them.
Why do I do what I do? I do it because I believe that we are only as strong as the people around us. I think it's my obligation to help my fellow man in anyway I can. Plus, I figure, if my mom or dad are out there and they need a hand, someone will give it to them. With every person I help, I make a new friend. They may not know it yet, but when they see me again they will go out of their way to repay the favor.


No comments:

Post a Comment