Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why I ended my complicated relationship with Facebook

So, I'm up for a promotion at work. Some people want me to get it, others don't. I know I'm not perfect, so I can understand why some people would have reservations about me getting the job. One of the hiring managers pulls me to the side and tells me that some of the people I would oversee feel I would not be good for the position, because of what I post on Facebook. What? I've never written anything directly concerning my place of work or fellow employees on Facebook. I've made general comments like, "I had a bad day", but never attacked or complained. Although I have seen other people do such things.


I began to think, what does what I write on Facebook have to do with my job performance. If I use profanity I censor it. I never post lewd photos that might offend anyone. Yeah I have been known to air out my dirty laundry, especially on this blog, but never a work related issue. So your telling me, because of what I post online, I can't manage a department. Nonetheless I felt that to avoid more frivolous misunderstandings, it would be best to leave Facebook alone altogether. Deleting certain people would seem petty, closing my account was my only option.

I had been reaching the conclusion in recent months that Facebook wasn't all it once seemed. In the beginning I was addicted. I couldn't go but a few hours without checking my account. In recent time, I still checked it a handful of times a day, but realized that there was nothing interesting to see anymore. Everyone stopped reading my stupid off the cuff commentary on life. I found myself posting the same videos over and over again. If I read another sarcastic ecard, I would lose my mind. I think I outgrew the "social" revolution. Now I just want read a newspaper, write letters, and have a cup of coffee with an old friend.

My friends!! Oh no, I totally turned my back on them. No, not really. The people that matter most to me, have my phone number and can reach me anytime they wish. On the other hand my long distant relatives have lost their only form of communication with me. The 200 hundred or so, other people are a collection of people I've known over the years that may or may not have mattered in my life. Some never interacted with me past sending me a friend request. If I run into any of them, I will be cordial.

My life isn't over because I can't broadcast it to the Facebook Universe, on the other hand now I can live a simpler life and enjoy and relish the few social interactions I have with my fellow humans on a daily basis. No hard feelings, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I feel this way too - it's kind of a love hate relationship, but I feel that with technology period. I'm currently trying to ween myself off of FB. Hopefully I can resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only last 2 days, atleast it's not drugs, and it kepps me connected to my folks.

    ReplyDelete