Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A book preview and my fascination with the mob

So, today I squeezed into some slacks, a polo shirt and my leather ankle boots. What came to mind? Would I be able to fit a small handgun into my boot? As I had seen in many a gangster movie. Whenever I dress up and throw some gel in my hair I think about organized crime. Today this thought came ironically seeing as I was fulfilling my civic duty and serving as a juror.


In 14 years of eligibility, this had only been the second time I had been called to serve. It's weird, but I always wanted and was never called. The last time I went about 3 years ago, I sat around then dismissed. I fantasized about being jury foreman to a murder or drug trail. Instead I got 15 bucks and a thank you. Today I decided to take a book to pass the time. I chose to read The Good Rat by Jimmy Breslin. I've known of Breslin from his years of writing for the New York Herald Tribune and Daily News most famously about the Mafia and the Son of Sam. 

As I begin to read I quickly got a happy feeling realizing that this book is about the legendary trail of two crooked New York City detectives with Mafia ties. As I read I see many names, although not all household names, familiar to me from years of watching documentaries and reading books about the mob. Although we all know fictional mobsters such as Vito Corleone, and Tony Soprano, I idolized guys like Paul Castellano, Lucky Luciano, Al Capone, and John Gotti. I always wanted to be the "good guy" to me that meant carrying a gun, dressing in tailored suits, driving fancy cars and being respected. 

Reading on I read about jury selections, and the testimony of a "rat" that turns his back on his associates to reduce his sentence. In the good old days of the mob, you never ratted. The code was you served your time, kept your mouth shut then were rewarded after release. This was when the government didn't believe that Mafia was a real thing. The guys got 2 or 3 year sentences for extortion and gambling. That was until RICO reared it's ugly head. Under RICO anything connected to a criminal organization could be added to a greater indictment thus allowing for bigger sentences. Older guys couldn't do 80 years.

This story centers around the testimony of a Jewish fence and drug dealer with strong mob ties. He paid  two detectives for information and for kidnappings and murder. It's interesting how he saw things and almost comical how he described certain aspects of Mafia life.

"When you kiss a guy and he gives you a kiss back, you make sure that your kissing comes across as Mafia, not faggot."
 In the Mafia high ranking member kiss each other on the cheek out of respect and to show that they are connected. He describes how he practices kissing in the mirror so doesn't slob on a Mafioso's cheek or come of as Gay.

I always admired how even though these men did and ordered many terrible and illegal things there was always an honor with them. While being examined by the defense he is brutally honest with everything he had a hand in. I especially enjoyed how he rationalizes his acts.

     Q: You'd agree that you're a dishonest guy.

     A: Yes

     Q: You didn't have an honest day in your life.

     A: Yes. I made my bed and had to lie in it. It's all right, as long as the bed doesn't roll me into prison.

This book had my mind floating with ideas of what to expect when called. Just before noon they began to dismiss the remaining jurors. I included. I was disappointed by two things. The fact that I would not be deliberating on a case and that I would have to stop reading. I managed to read almost half the book withing those 5 hours. I'm thinking that in the book, the trail will go on and be a bit more eventful then my day was in court. 

I'll be writing as I read along.





6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to serve as a juror too. Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to be a juror too! Sounds like a cool book, I just started reading a book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you reading. I usually like books "based on actual events" This one especially since I recently saw a documentary about this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read from one author - Elizabeth Berg. She does fiction books, but she's the only author I can read books from front to back. With me, books have a criteria. If I'm not intrigued by the first paragraph - I'm done. lol

      Delete
    2. I'm reading a book by my favorite author called "The Day I ate whatever I wanted". I can't read anything else from another author. She is the only one that I can commit to, it seems. She does fiction novels, but they most definitely can be true. I can imagine it being true anyway. How far along are you?

      Delete
    3. Sounds good, I'm like 70 pages away from the end.

      Delete