Friday, August 24, 2012

My last week at the Bottom.

I can't believe that I have a bit over a week left at my current job location. It'll be almost exactly a year since I transferred there. I still remember the first time I stepped foot in the store. It seemed strange, not because it was foreign to me, but because of the escalator leading to the bottom floor. Every other store I have worked it was one floor. Another rarity was walking through a department with absolutely no product in it. It was so clean and brand new.

 
I never imagined leaving that place so soon, let alone returning to my previous location. Now a year later so much has changed. It was definitely not the way anyone expected a opening year to be. I can safely say it was one of the most challenging locations I have worked at for my company. Not because of the employees, not because of the customers, not even because of how busy. It was the total opposite, it has been the slowest (business) store I've worked at since starting with them 9 years ago.

Traditionally new stores become like a latest fad. Everyone shops there and they tend to stay busy. This store was an anomaly. The opening weeks were strong. After a couple of months, business just died. It was slowest the holiday season I have ever experienced. They went as far as sending employees to help other stores that were swamped, while we could hear crickets. It was insane. They even encouraged us to take time off during the holiday season this year. As 2012 progressed we maintain a steady clientele. We expected it to die again during the summer months, but surprisingly enough it held strong. Right after the 4th of July it died again up until this week.

I always hoped to see the day were we would start breaking sales records and making substantial profits. Now, instead I will be leaving the team that I helped build to go help rebuild another. Over the years you make friends and work with various people. Especially in my case, since this was my 5th store. Every team I've worked with holds a special place for me. I've met some of the most interesting, intelligent, compassionate and hard working people. Even the ones that were less then still made a difference.

Out of all the crews I've had the pleasure of working with, this one stands out the most so far. This was the first team I really felt I had a handle on as a leader. They relied on my decision making and really put forth the effort to succeed. It was touch and go and first. Mainly because 2/3 of the crew had no experience what so ever. They had to learn everything from scratch on the fly. I'm really surprised that they all held on and powered through. It wasn't easy but now I look back and do see great improvement. They've learned things that took me years in less than one. I'm not saying they are professionals yet, but I am certain they will go a long way if they stay focused and continue to grow and learn. I thank them, salute them, and wish them the best in their future endeavours.

Now as my journey continues I have to reflect on these 9 years. I have take everything I've learned and create a plan for success. I have to tighten up my belt and prepare to lead the next team to excellence. Only one person can stop me, and that is me. I have to know that my reputation is on the line and the buck stops with me. Failure is not an option. I worked with the crew for 3 years before my current location. I know what they are capable of. My job is to develop them and prove to them that they can do the impossible. I have a lot of respect for them and the confidence in there abilities. All it takes for them is to want it as much as I do, and we will acomplish all of our personal and team goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment