Monday, November 14, 2011

Porky Pig is Garbage

I just got back from taking my father to a laser eye surgery. I think we took more time parking then it took for the procedure. We circled the block twice past a perfectly good parking garage because Mr. Vanderbilt didn't want to pay for parking. After we came around the second time, there were two open spaces. He parked handed me a quarter, and it gave us 15 minutes. I asked him if he was going put more time on it. He told me that since he's got a handicap placard on his rear view mirror, they wouldn't ticket him.


We went inside. As we walked into the clinic, I quickly realized that they special in Ophthalmology for the elderly. The average age in that room was about 73. Everyone in there was having sporadic conversations. Old folks are funny, they will talk about, and show interest in anything. I heard conversations on crocheting, the origin and different types of mohair, and even how God hates lying, so we should never lie. I was trying to focus on a National Geographic article about mummification in Papa New Guinea I was reading.

As we drove home I realized a couple of things. I've been here before. Driving my dad home from one of many medical procedures. The other thing I realized was, how many more times will I be able to do this. I actually enjoy driving my father. He rambles on about the most random things. After I pulled out, before I hit the first intersection he detailed 4 different ways I could take to go home. I asked which one he wanted. He said, you can go left right or straight, and told me to decide, as he says, go right!! He then began to try to decipher why we don't have a better relationship with his brother and his brother's sons.

It's cloudy but comfortable out. Have a few things planned for this afternoon. Wanted to take my ladies to eat and at the same time support my daughters schools PTA. What better reason to go my favorite neighborhood restaurant and brewery. I think we may go to the thrift store, it's been a while. We've been trying to avoid frivolous spending. Even though we enjoy going, we know that we will buy a bunch of unnecessary junk. I already have a room full of thrift store finds. I need to start selling them and stop buying them. The plan is to start saving for a change of scenery. I figure that with my job I could transfer almost anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and London, we would start making plans to finally get out of Maryland. Things don't seem to be changing here. We both need a shot of motivation.

What better way to lift our spirits then to move to a new city. See new sights and make new friends. Our first choice is London. Sounds far fetched. That's a world away. Yet they still speak English. Plus we'll be hours away from some of our dream European destinations. Canada also sounds interesting. They speak French and English. It's almost like being here, but fancier. Then California. I have no problem going out West. The few times I've been there, and the one time we went as a family really made a great impression on the 3 of us. I'd prefer South, but I hear the North also has it's charm. So what next? How do we make this move? We need money, jobs and a place to stay.

The money situation is probably the hardest part. With my company I could receive transportation costs. We would still need to find and rent an apartment. I can transfer if there is a position that I am qualified for available. My wife doesn't work, so finding a job in a new city may be easier then it's been looking for work here. I'm not sure how rent works in Canada, but the research I've done for England seems like it will be hard to move across the pond. Everything I see for London talks about weekly rent. Anywhere from 300 Pounds, up to 900 Pounds. So about 350 dollars a week, on the low end, is $1,400.00 a month. Which is more then I pay here. Not including food, and transportation. I would not be taking a car. That rent is also for an efficiency. Not sure if moving my family out of a house into a studio is considered progression. Then again if the end result warrants minor scarifies, our journey would be totally worth it.

I've decided to start selling everything, but my clothes and most personal item. I wanna sell all my collectibles, furniture and my car. I don't want to transport everything we own across the country, border or  an ocean. I would rather buy things we need on that end. We started out with no furniture, it wasn't that bad. Plus the more we can sell the more we can raise for this adventure. I've tried to sell some of my toys before through a blog like this (that I deleted) and Craigslist. Now I'm going to try my hand at Ebay. I don't care what it takes. I need to sell it all. I would rather people agree to stop by, see my stuff and make me an offer. Anything that can help me give my family a new life experience.

As for Porky Pig being garbage. As I was writing this, my wife was watching the new Loony Tunes. Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, and Daffy were eating at Speedy Gonzalez's restaurant. Daffy got fries with his meatball sub. Porky thought they were for the table and had some. After the meal, Daffy got upset and was griping to Bugs about it. He proclaimed the Porky Pig is garbage, because he ate his fries. I though this was the funniest thing. I know people like that. I'm like that sometimes, taking things out of proportion. The old lady in the doctor's office said that God doesn't like lying and liars because she didn't lie about having a light breakfast before her appointment, causing her surgery to be pushed back 4 hours. I don't know what she was trying to prove, but sometimes just because you don't lie to others doesn't mean you don't lie to yourself. Be real and honest and people will respect you for it at the end of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Good one, cuz! My best to your parents. -Jorge

    ReplyDelete