Saturday, November 19, 2011

Meet Lalo Robles

I learned about loyalty and honor in, of all places, the penitentiary when I did my first bid back in 86'. Lalo spoke in a low almost muffled tone. His face lit up as he sparked a match and lit the cigarette he was holding in his mouth. There he stood all of 186 lbs at a staggering 6' 2" It was winter so he wore his 3/4 length lambskin coat with the fur. Motherfuckers in the pen aren't like these dudes out here. They have nothing to loose, they will fuck you up, you better believe it bro. It's a cold December night on the stoop of Lalo's mom's building. You would think he was standing at the pulpit giving a sermon. The neighborhood knuckleheads are hanging on every word. Really bro? Word? Is all the listener's say. Lalo is the real deal, he's an O.G., and Original Gangster, one of the guys whispers to his buddy.


Yeah bro, I was a kid, matter of fact I turned 15 the day I was sentenced. I was the motherfucking man though. I wore all fresh gear, had rings and chains, all kinds of dumb gold. As he says "gold" he grins and the street light reflects of the gold cap on one of his front teeth. His hand shakes as he continues to smoke. It's not on account of the 30 degree weather. He suffered nerve damage in the right hand when they tried to stab him his first week in prison. For real bro, I didn't think I would ever go away. Even when I was arrested, I knew they wouldn't send me to the joint, because I was a kid. I never knew anybody my age that went away. Mom dukes was bugging. I bet you ran that shit, right Lalo? A voice comes from the crowd. He lets off one those raspy, neighborhood drunk, giggles as he takes a sip from a tall boy of Bud in a brown paper bag.

Let me tell you something papi! When I went in that place, I knew I was going to be the king. The first day I'm in the place. I notice dudes mean mugging mean. Whispering amongst themselves. I didn't like that shit one bit, I guess they didn't know who they were dealing with. So here I am walking to the yard. A group of dudes are walking towards me. I keep my stride. The one of them shoulder bumps me as he walks past. I stop and say watch were you going bro. What the fuck did you just say? I said, watch your step, bro!! I stepped close to him. All I felt a sharp pain to the back of my head, I think it was brass knuckles. I woke up in the infirmary the next morning with two black eyes, a cracked tooth, and a bump on the back of my head. What did you do Lalo? I bet you lit them dudes up. The wind was picking up, he clears his throat as he raises his fur collar to cover his ears. Bro I waited a couple of days. I was waiting to catch one of those motherfuckers alone. I didn't even go to the yard. I just sat in my cell waiting. He takes the last gulp of beer out as he lifts the can way up. He throws the can into a dark corner.

What are you going to do now? It's just me an you!! Lalo yelled as he shoved a guy they call Fly into a concrete wall. Fly lunges back at him and they begin to tussle. There's a crowd at the end of the hall. No one jumps in. They both end up back on their feet. Fly grabs him by the back of the neck and pulls him forward. What Lalo can't see is a short screwdriver that was sharpened into a shank that Fly had in his hand. The first lunge of the weapon entered the palm of his right hand. Fly thought is was in his stomach, so he moves it from left to right to do more damage. By this time Lalo got his left hand on Fly's neck. He can't get a good grip but has his Adam's apple and is squeezing hard. Suddenly the air got thick and my eyes got watery bro. I was coughing and couldn't breath. The guards had let off a pepper bomb. My hand was fucked up. He holds it up to show off the scar. What about Fly? He lived bro. He sounded like a robot after that. I guess we ere even.

No comments:

Post a Comment