Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Friendship and True Love

Not long ago, God smiled down on one of my best friends, and blessed him with the love of his life. This weekend their love and commitment for each other reached a pinnacle in the form of a wedding. I was witness to their stroll down the aisle. Along with other lifelong friends and family, I noticed the permanent smile on his face and the glimmer in her eye. It was a beautiful ceremony. The little rascals grew up this weekend. We had a blast and I was able to fit into my suit.


A couple of months ago I was given a one time worn black Calvin Klein suit by a close friend. It was well received because I had this wedding to attend. When I first got it, the pants were snug, and jacket was about 4 inches from buttoning. I shifted my workout schedule into overdrive. I ran longer and harder. I lifted weights four times a week. I even ran in a jacket so I could sweat more and burn more fat. Saturday I was able to wear the suit, the jacket closed but I wore it unbuttoned and received a lot of compliments on my weight loss.

For me the weekend started on Friday night. Spook was in town. He sent me a text to inform me that we would all be going out that night. I knew it was on when Nelson got in touch with me to let me know he would be picking me up. If history is any indicator, when the guys volunteer to drive me, I probably will need help walking at the end of the night. I can honestly say that these guys are always looking out for me. They would never put me in a bad situation. Around 9 we headed to the place where we were supposed to be meeting. The groom and Spook were still at the rehearsal dinner. Tali was still home and Spook's brother was heading in from an hour away. We belly up to a bar at a Mexican restaurant. After 3 beers no one had shown up. Nelson remembered that he had to pick up the Canadians in the morning and get them to the wedding. He decided to bail because he knew once everyone arrived it was going to get crazy and he wouldn't be waking up until sometime Sunday afternoon.

With all the bars in the area, I was stuck at this restaurant because  I made the knucklehead move of leaving my ID at home. The restaurant didn't card me but the bars were carding at the door. I got in touch with Tali, and asked him to swing by my house and pick up my ID. So till he arrived I had to chill. The groom, Spook and the Canadians showed up around midnight. I met Dane and Sarah for the first time that night. It said a lot to me that they flew all the way from Western Canada to be here for such a joyous occasion. We all headed to the groom's hotel while we waited for Tali. While there we had a glass of complimentary wine. By the end of the glass, Tali showed up.

We headed out to a piano bar. Before I knew it 2 buckets of Corona came across the bar. We go in. Before the second beer came the first round of shots. We may have been there under two hours. I think we went through 4 or five buckets, and at least 3 rounds of shots. I wasn't the only one feeling the effects, because at one point Dane was refusing to take shots, so his girl "manned up" and was taking his in addiction to hers, she would later regret this. In a drunken ramble I assured Dane that she was a keeper, and she would later prove it by catching the bouquet at the reception  By the time we get back to the hotel I was stumbling, slurring, and drifting in and out. Tali was volunteered to drop me and the Canadians off. After Sarah "talked" into the porcelain telephone for a while, we make it down to the lobby. Tali goes to the garage to get his car. We sit on a bench just outside the hotel entrance. I was sitting there, probably green in the face. As the car pulls up. A guy and his friends come out of the hotel, he looks at me and asks if I'm OK, I say yeah, then proceed to turn my head and hurl all over the side walk. It was all beer. 

I don't remember much about the ride home. I passed out. The only thing I remember is Tali calling my name when we get to Dane and Sarah's hotel. We were in a 2 door, so I had to move for them to get out. The other thing I remember was halfway home I was woken up by flashes of light. Tali was taking pictures of me passed out in his car. The last thing I remember was Tali calling me and waking up on my street. I'm not sure, but I think the wine messed me up.

Needless to say I had a nasty headache in the morning. It went away when we arrived at the church and realized that this was really happening. I saw all my drinking buddies from he night before all primped and polished. I don't know how we did it, but we all made it. From the moment I saw my boy come out to the alter with his brothers by his side, I couldn't help but notice how happy he looked. It's as if all his dreams were about to be fulfilled. Soon after, the wedding party made their entrance, then the march started to cue the bride. She had a glow to her and looked like she was always meant walk down that aisle. All said and done it was the perfect day for a wedding and perfect end to a long weekend with long life friends.

Khemrath and Marco. I knew from the moment he told me about you that you would be the women he would marry. I never saw that look in his eye in close to 20 years that I have known him. I can honestly say your are the perfect person for him, and you truly make him happy. I wish you nothing but the best and hope to be around to see your children and watch you grow old together. God bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment