Monday, February 11, 2013

The Resignation of Pope Benedict

I'm not one to ever get involved in politics or religion. I stay within the realm of my everyday life  I focus on the things I can control and the people I love.This morning when I first got up and read on my wall that Pope Benedict was resigning, it came as a complete shock to me. Having been raised Catholic, I was taught the importance of the Papacy to us Catholics. The problem is, I'm not quite sure why it's bothering me.


I grew up during the time of Pope John Paul II. To me he was what a Pope was supposed to look like, talk like, and act like. I thought he would be the Pope forever. While studying at Catholic University, I saw pictures of his visit in the 80's. Then I researched and saw pictures of him in my home country of Nicaragua. He was the "People's Pope" and as a Catholic I held a lot of respect towards him.

When he passed away, my parents felt a great deal of consternation. Pictures of him covered their walls. They watched any and all coverage of his death and funeral. It was as if an old family friend had died. I didn't know what to make of it. I don't believe I was saddened as most Catholics were. I felt a bit concerned about the future of the Catholic church. He's been the only face I've seen and without him who could do the job. It was the end of the Papacy as I had grown to know it. My parents were pulling for a Black or Hispanic Pope. I didn't want anybody. I wanted Pope John Paul II back. 

Pope Benedict would not have been my first choice. A German Pope? I had no idea there were German Catholics. To me Germans from his generation were in some way associated to the Holocaust. It seemed wrong to me considering that our beloved previous pontiff was Polish and his family was persecuted by the Nazi's of which some could have been ancestors of Pope Benedict. 

I never felt he was the man for the job. From the very beginning it was said that he would not travel much. John Paul II was known for traveling the world. He was known for being warm and embracing the least of his brethren. Pope Benedict seemed cold and distant. I never felt that he could live up to what John Paul II was to his people. As a blind faithful as our people are (such as my parents) they embraced and accepted him. 

This morning's news was shocking and disappointing to me. True, I have not accepted him as many others did, but I felt that with time he could have earned my trust with his actions. Instead he quits. He tells us he can't do it. I understand being old and sick. Then I realize that the last guy did it until the day he died. He struggled with sickness, injury and still stayed at his post for us. What does that me for Pope Benedict's character?

For one I think there is more to his resignation than meets the eye. He knew when he took the job that it would be a life long commitment. He was also already of advanced age. Why accept something that you knew you wouldn't be able to fulfill? I feel that recent scandals involving his staff and other blemishes to the reputation of the clergy have put a strain on him. I think that there may have been pressure from the Vatican to step down gracefully. Whatever it may be, I think that in the coming days and months a lot will come to light and put what many people believe into turmoil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment