Thursday, January 31, 2013

... and it sound so nice, Hip Hop you're the love of my life

Hip Hop. What is it? How has it affected your life? Do you think it still exists?

Hip Hop is different things to different people.
It could be a beat. A lyric. A dance move. A mural. A calling. A movement.

Hip Hop happened in the mid-seventies in the Bronx, N.Y.

Hip Hop happened to me in the mid-eighties in Langley Park Maryland.

Hip Hop is originally broken down into 4 realms. The M.C., D.Jing, Breakdance, and Graffiti.

I've tried my hand at all four aspects.

Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Treacherous 3, The Fat boys were among the rap records in my brother's collection back in the day.

He was a breaker. Complete with Lotto shoes and a Kangol hat.

Then I saw Beatstreet. I finally saw what Hip Hop looked like in the Bronx in the early eighties.

With my mind blown I started to draw graffiti.

Krylon, Sharpie, Rustoleum. Paint stains. Back pack full of cans.

No train cars like the good old days.

Techniques 1200's spinning. My best friend's house. Records on the wall. Nothing to do after school but practice scratching and mixing.

Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, DJ Premier, Roc Raida, is who we wanted to be.

Beat juggling Unbelievable and Gotta Take it Easy.

Taking the train downtown to buy more records.

Discovering the pioneers. KRS-ONE, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Run DMC. Legends.

Rocking to the influences. James Brown, Chic, Gil Scott Heron, Queen, Aerosmith.

The 90's were good to my ears and my soul.

Wu Tang, The Roots, Biggie, Busta, The Lox, Ruff Ryders.

From Hip Hop we discovered the world. Dance Hall, House, Salsa, Drum and Bass.

The beats ran through me.

WCUA Friday nights at 9pm. Beatdown, Catholic University Radio's only Hip Hop show.

With DJ Quick C and Ernie V.

In the booth late night On The Air, cutting, vibing, smoking, rhyming.

Hip Hop. The only constant in my life.

Nothing makes me happier than watching people breakdance, or a good piece of Graffiti art.

A dope beat. A horn. A sample. A piano. A needle on a record.

All my favorite M.C.s are characterized by their voices.

The M.C. is the Master of Ceremony. Microphone Controller or Moves the Crowd.

Thank you Hip Hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment