Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012

The Mayans are terrible at predicting the apocalypse. I waited all day on the 21st of December for the world end and end this terrible year on a high note. In reality 2012 was not that bad. There were more highs than lows. I guess at this point in the game, I no longer sweat the small stuff. I also don't expect much from anything anymore. I made my bed so now I slap my CPAP mask (for my sleep apnea) on and sleep in it like a baby. I used to say 'why me?' now I say 'who else if not me' Somebody has to draw the short straw.
  When I last wrote one of these I had not too long transferred back to the Washington DC area with my job, finally ending my tenure in Baltimore City. Guess what? I'm back to Baltimore. Been there since September. Returned almost exactly a year to the day that I left. My year at Foggy Bottom was definitely a learning experience. I worked for and with some great people. It prepared me for bossedom. I never imagined going to back to the proving grounds though. I left a good team, and now they are my team. Really looking forward to growing this crew and bringing prestige to the department. I was also blessed to join an exemplary leadership group. They have been more than welcoming and have embraced me as one of there own.

That being said, the rest of the year was kind of lackluster. I felt like all I did was work, watch TV, eat and sleep. During the summer months I spent a lot of time with my vintage toys. I went to the thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales. I even did some restoration projects. Among them a bike for my wife and a toy wheel barrow. As of late, I haven't been as involved in my hobby. Maybe because of football season.

If you've been sleeping under a rock or are a Cowboys fan, you haven't noticed the stellar season the Washington Redskins have had. Led by rookie sensations Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris. They have gotten all of my attention. Even when we were 3 and 6 I stayed with them and watched them rise to the occasion winning 7 games in a row and becoming 2012 NFC East Champions. I've never been so enthralled in sports in my life. I've laughed, I've cried and of course cheered them every step of the way. For Christmas all I wanted was Redskins merchandise or anything burgundy and gold and boy did my family and friends deliver.

Otherwise is was business as usual for me this year. Work, spend a little time with my ladies, more work. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and decided to embrace my fate. I still do my best everyday. I try to work harder than people expect and don't expect anything in return because I know that no one will ever recognize what you have sacrificed more than you.

In 2013 I don't know what will happen to me. I'm sure when I wrote this last year around this time, I was full of hope and aspirations. None of which I accomplished. All I know is certain is I will continue to love and support my family. I will continue to work my tail off. I will be the rock that everyone expects me to be. No weight loss goals or 'smile more' oaths. All I can do is be myself and be a leader in everything I embark on. Lets see what happens.

I wanna send some love and congratulations to my brother (from another mother) Marco on his and Ms. Nuth's engagement this year. From the moment you first spoke to me about her, I knew you were changed. When I first met her I knew she was the one for you. I wish you both nothing but the best. Also a big congrats to my cousin Valdis and the Mrs. on their soon to be here baby boy. At my St Patrick's Day party in 2011 they had been married a day. I toasted in congratulations, and I wished them luck, health and bouncing baby boy. Happy for you guys and I pray that he be healthy and strong.

Thank yous are order. To my parents for always backing me up. To my wife and daughter for inspiring me everyday and never giving up on me. To my extended family. To my boys, even though we are far apart I always pray the lord protects and guides everyone of you in everything you do. My crews, the one I left behind and the one I depend on today. You guys make me who I am. If it weren't for your hard work and dedication. I would be nothing. Also to my fellow team leaders and our bosses, thank you for all the good things you do for us, not just the rewards, but for not giving up on us and pushing us toward excellence everyday. Most importantly to God, because without him, I couldn't do anything. He has a plan for me and so I try to do right and follow it, even though I gripe, I now understand my mission.

My condolences to the families of dear friends that lost someone close to their hearts this year. May God keep them in his embrace. For the fallen stars in all the realms of entertainment. Last but not least anyone taken from the world this year through a careless act of violence or terror. Especially children. May God hold them close and look over their bewildered families. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment