Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Week One

One week into the new year and so much has happened already. I feel like I haven't accomplished anything yet. I need to get going if I'm going to make the best of 2013. There are so many ideas swirling around but with ideas you have to have a plan of execution and guess what?, execute them. Nothing is as easy as it sounds, but the only thing that can hold you back is you. Before I get into what's to come I'll update you on what happened since the ball last dropped.

 
In case you missed it the Washington Redskins made it into the playoffs after 13 years. They battled from a 3-6 record winning 7 straight games and ending with a wild card spot with 10-6. All that excitement and hope ended Sunday night with a crushing loss to the Seattle Seahawks. They started out strong with 2 consecutive touchdowns in the first 2 possessions. Then it seemed that RG III aggravated a knee injury from their game against Baltimore that he was playing through with the aid of a knee brace. Before the end the half it was obvious that he was limping and having trouble running. He soldiered on but by the end of the 4th quarter his knee gave in and he was taken out. By then they were 10 points down and only had 5 minutes for the back-up QB Kirk Cousins to create a miracle and bring home the win, as he had done in Baltimore the last time Griffin was injured. Unfortunately it was too little too late. Even though they were unable to advance it was still one of the more thrilling seasons in recent history for the franchise. They finally broke out of their rut and acquired a leader on the field in RG III. The fans are nothing but proud of all of their efforts and hope to see a healthy and stronger team next season.

While at home, our daughter finally returned from her trip to Nicaragua. The weeks she was away seemed to last for ever, but once she returned it felt like she never left. She so many stories from her trip. We watched videos of her pony ride and the boat tour they took. They also spent a lot of time with family celebrating the holidays. It made me nostalgic for the old days when I was in tow for these events. I was happy to see how loved an accepted she was by them. She brought back souvenirs for her friends and teacher. My mom brought me back cheese, snacks, soda, and rum. All handcrafted in Nicaragua and that bring back so many memories when consuming them. Made me feel like getting on a plane.

With their return also came the rest of the family. Everyone was busy during the holidays. While they were gone, the phone rarely rang. No one ever came to visit. Since their return my wife's aunt and cousin have been by. It was nice to see them and spend time. I watched the game with cousin Clyde, and even though he taunted me the whole time and laughed at our defeat, because he was scared we would advance and destroy his Atlanta Falcons, it was fun to have a beer and a laugh with a good friend. That afternoon we were invited by my parents to lunch with my brother and his kids. Even thought our relationship has been strained in the past, it was nice to break bread with them and spend some time. My brother and I shared old stories and laughed and even the kids were getting along.

Even the office has been full of surprises. When a person you rely on and trust leaves the fold for ominous reasons you begin to doubt yourself and your crew. The guys have really stepped up and given me the support to move through this obstacle with ease. They have really shown me the qualities in them that I always suspected of, but never got a chance to see until now. We were visited my one of the big bosses from headquarters. He was thoroughly impressed with our work and commended us. I was so proud of my team and think that if we continue to function like we have been they will rise above everyone's expectations.

Now what? I have so many things to think about this year. I have to get the ball rolling on so many things that I have to accomplish. First my health. I've gradually have eaten and drank my way to an uncomfortable weight in the last few years. I've forgotten about diet and exercise and now doing everyday things has become limited by my obesity. I need to start moving again and taking an interest in my well being and longevity. On the professional front I have so much to be grateful for. I've come a long way with the company in these past 10 years. I've proven myself and now I have the opportunity to created opportunities for others. This year I will focus on propelling my guys towards greater heights. They deserve the chance to prove that they got what it takes, so instead of furthering my career for now, I will help them grown and give them the tools to reach their goals.

The last 3 years in this house has been a flash. So many good memories from parties to cookouts. Now comes the time to decide if it's time to move on and whether moving on means another area code, time zone, or hemisphere. With my parents going on in age there has been talk of them leaving and starting their golden age in quieter and more serene settings. Since we share this house with them and they pay half the rent, will it be feasible for us to afford to live here after their departure? Do we move to a smaller place we can afford? We've always played around with the idea of moving far far away. California has always been a preferred destination. I've even considered England, since relocating with my job is an option. Then I realized we have a home in Nicaragua. Why not spend a few years out there, trying new things and living the simpler life. I think that it would be benificial for my daughter and our own well being. Of course like anything else it life, it is easier said then done. There is a lot of logistical planning to be done if any of these moves are in our future.

What is certain is I will not overlook any opportunity presented to me this year. I will live as much as I can. Spend more time with my family. Talk more, laugh more, love more, write more. Do something that makes me smile everyday. This is the year that I begin to live, no mater where it takes me. Nothing is written in stone and with a little sweat and tears you can accomplish anything, even if it makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment