Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gray skies are gonna clear up... put on a happy face

Things are starting look up for me and the people that surround me. I feel very fortunate to be around to witness the transition from night to day. I think it has something to do with March. This month always seems to signal the lifting of the fog. I don't know what it is exactly.


So far the month has been nothing but good times and great news. I started it out on a high note. I was able to attend my first Washington Capital's game. It was a great evening with some fellow co-workers. All from different walks of life. We celebrated the birthday of one of the guys on my team. We had drinks at a bar next door to the store. It was interesting having a beer and talking about regular things with the people you work with. I know that they are regular people, but you don't see them as such until your tipsy talking about the crazy shit you did when you were younger. We later stumbled onto the train and headed to the Verizon Center. I'd been there before for everything from basketball games to the circus to Disney on Ice. First time at a NHL game. I caught a couple of youth league games years ago. Always wanted to go the real deal. The first thing I noticed was, the lack of minorities. The group I was with consisted of a White guy, an Ethiopian, a Black guy, and me (earlier at the bar we were also joined by a Tibetan) I quickly noticed that we were the few minorities attending the game. The other thing I quickly noticed is how enthused and dedicated Caps fans are. From the youngest to the oldest. I felt right at home. Overall it was a nice evening, although we lost. I am compelled to go again.

That same afternoon I was having a talk with my boss. He's trying to move up in the company. The thing that is holding him back is the fear from higher ups that the department will decline without him at the helm. I, being his second in command have the responsibility to make them feel at ease with the idea of me filling in if he leaves. I have to make them see that I am a suitable replacement. My boss is pushing for me to take over for him. Usually promotions aren't allowed within the same store. The store manager conveyed that if he felt I was strong enough take the reins, he would give me a chance to officially fill the spot. I was overjoyed with the prospect. Nothing is set in stone, but to even been considered, and to have my boss show confidence in my abilities after only six months working together, is a compliment.

Since late last year I had been planning on purchasing a second vehicle with my tax return this year. We always relied on two cars, but since I transferred to D.C. and we were left with one vehicle, we've made due with one. Mainly because I can take the subway to work sometimes. I still thought we needed the convenience of a family car so my wife and daughter can get around. Last weekend we asked my wife's cousin to take us to The Woodbridge Public Auto Auction. I never was big on the idea of going to an auction to buy a car. I had heard good things and bad things. Plus I didn't like the idea of having our hearts set on a car and being outbid. We got there early and quickly realized it wasn't what we expected. It's basically a dealership. They have a vast inventory of used vehicles. Ranging from the mid 90's to last year. Some were very nice others had visible wear. We walked around and picked out cars that suited our spacial needs and fit in our budget. Somehow we ended up with 3 Jeep Cherokees. None of them would pass inspection and they all have parking break issues. Then we realized we were standing next a Honda minivan. The same Honda minivan that my wife's cousin had originally recommended to her when he started researching cars to see. We had been there for a few hours and never it occurred to us to check out that van. We started to look into it and decided to test drive it. First, you have to know that this "auction" is not all you imagine when hearing that term. They do auction off the cars after 1pm. Before then you are allowed to browse the cars, drive the cars, and make an offer on the cars. Every car has an asking price, but you can negotiate, and if they accept, you can buy the car. At 1, the remaining inventory is auctioned off. We drove the car and loved it. It would pass inspection and had no major issues. We offered $900 under the asking price and bought it for $700 under asking price. I later did some research and found out that the Kelley Blue Book value on this van is between $4200 and $5800, depending on condition and mileage. We saved a grand. I liked our purchase and experience so much, that I'm taking my Dad next week and will be going back in May to buy a work car.

Good fortune and good news seems to be in the air these days. I heard that my little cousin, Meli, was awarded a major scholarship to go to college. Shes always been the studious type. Sort of nerdy but with her own personality. I know she will thrive and make us all proud. Just a few days ago I found out that a close friend, the same person that inspired me to start blogging, got a huge surprise of her own. Ms. Muffin won a trip to Africa. I was so exited for her. She truly deserves this trip . I feel that this experience will be a blessing for her, and in turn she will brighten up the day of the people she interacts with on her journey. Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment