Thursday, March 15, 2012

I can see the light... at the end of the tunnel

Tic-toc tic-toc. I have less then 24 hours left before officially begining my vacation. I have about 17 hours and 45 minutes to be exact. I can't wait to be able to relax and not worry about work. I'm hoping that I can take my full two weeks off. My boss' wife is due any day now. I can see me having to go back early if that were to happen. He's also trying to enter a training program for upper management. I wish him well. I can't be mad at him for trying to go to the next level. I just hope baby girl waits till the first week of April to make her debut.



This week so far has been a pretty good. Time is flying, because tomorrow is Friday. It seemed like I just worked an overnight shift, that was Sunday night for Monday morning. I feel like I've been on a roll this week. Staying on top of things. My protege "Mario The Meat Machine" made us all round by teaching his first meat basics class. He did a presentation for roughly 18 people (mostly customers) about pork loin. Sounds interesting, right? Actually he got rave reviews, and even managed to get blogged about. It's a relief because he was quite nervous leading up to the event. With pep talks, and coaching from the marketing team, he aced it.


Now all I'm doing is getting ready for our St. Patty's Day Party. I'm a bit nervous about it, to be honest. I love having people over. I just hope they don't get bored. I've got almost everything covered. I bought non-alcoholic drinks, snacks and paper goods today. Tomorrow I will pick up the beer, and food, before I leave work. After work, a quick stop at the liquor store will do it for pre-party shopping. I've created recipe cards for easy drinks to make on the spot. All using Irish beer or liquors. For instance a Guinness Shandy, is stout topped off with sprite. The one I'm looking forward to trying is a Half & Half. Made with Harp Lager and Guinness. I hope that my guests will get into the spirit and try a new drink and most importantly, wear green. The only thing I haven't figured out is entertainment. When I usually have a party all we do is, drink, talk shit, play cards which always leads to a drinking game. This time I have more people then usual coming. A handful of co-workers, which is something new for me. I hope everyone has fun and is compelled to return.


Got so much shit on my mind, but no way to express it. After the party I plan to forget about the world for a bit. Disconnect and spend quality time with my wife. Load the van and hit the road. Turn off the phone and see things we never get a chance to see. I love the idea of my wife, me and the open road. Then when the weekend comes, we'll spend time with our favorite 7 year old. Drive up to New Jersey and maybe New York. Then more road trips with the wife, to then culminate with our yearly trip to scenic Emporia, Virginia. My wife's family's hometown. We've traveled there for about 10 years. We started going to visit her grandmother around her birthday every Spring. After she passed, it became like a family reunion to honor her memory.


Things I definitely want to do while I'm off:


1) Go antiquing
2) Dig through a strangers barn
3) Eat good rice pudding
4) Eat good banana pudding
5) Sell some of my toy collection
6) Get a tattoo
7) Dance with my wife (out in public)
8) Expose my daughter to Hip Hop, through breakdancing or a M.C. or DJ battle.
9) Grill or smoke meat in my backyard
10) Restore my 50's tricycle

No comments:

Post a Comment