Saturday, May 14, 2011

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

I just finished watching the Denzel Washington movie called John Q. As old as it is neither my wife or I had ever seen it. It was very emotional to watch. I guess for it was especially for me because like the main character, I am a working father that would do anything for my family. When John Q was saying goodbye to his son, he gave him life advice. At one point he tells him to make as much money he can, even if he has to sell out. He tells him that having money is the most important thing in life. Afterwards he tells him not to do wrong or run with the wrong crowd. I think that was a bit contradictory.


Is having money really all that it's cracked up to be? Biggie once said "Mo' money Mo' problems. I think people don't truly understand the meaning of having money. People are more enamored with the prospect of the things money brings. A big house, nice clothes, fancy cars. Money is great. You can also make a lot of friends when you have money. People respect you. At least that's what people without money think. With great money comes great responsibility. First you have to pay more taxes. You also have to know who to trust with your money. So you wanna buy that big house you saw on MTV Cribs? It cost a lot of money to maintain this house. You have to pay for landscaping, security systems. Who's going to clean this monstrosity? Then you go out and buy a whip. Anybody can buy a BMW or a Benz these days. Now they have even more expensive cars for you to throw your money away on. Get a Bentley or a Maybach. Guess what, repairs cost even more on a luxury vehicle. Even windshield wipers. So now you have to look the part. Go out and get some designer clothes and some bling, you gotta have bling. Now your holding up a big diamond encrusted sign  that reads "ROB ME!!" The problem with having money is the moment you get it, someone else wants to take it from you. It could range from criminals, to your accountant, to your lawyer, even you family members.

Every Friday when I buy a Mega millions ticket, I visualize winning the jackpot. Every Saturday when I check the numbers, I get "Soul to Souled" I go "back to life back to reality" I have come to the realization that I will never be wealthy. I may even never be comfortable. In the end comfortable would be great. Not living from check to check. Not worrying about how the bills will get paid. I dream big when that ticket prints out, but the truth is I'll never win. My theory is I struggle because that is what I was put on earth to do. There are people that were born to be famous. Other that were born to help people. I was born to bust my hump. If I don't struggle I disrupt the universe's equilibrium. I just want to know once in my life how it feels not to worry about money.

If I get money we all get money. Our parents, family, and friends that have been there for us gets taken care of first. My daughter gets a trust fund. We build our dream house and buy two cars that don't need to be given the sign of the cross every time I start them so god will keep it running. I want a kitchen with everything. Like the kind you find in a restaurant. Brick ovens, smokers, salamanders, subzero refrigerators, deep freezers, and ice cream makers. Picture kitchen stadium on Iron Chef. Then we travel. First stop Nicaragua. I want to show my wife and daughter where I came from. I also want to treasure hunt. There are a lot of old things in peoples houses and back yards. Ranging from old soda bottles to antique decor to old weapons. I would go house to house asking people for permission and if I find something I will offer to buy it. The Nicaragua Cordoba is 22 to the dollar. I can buy a lot of cool stuff for a fraction of what I would spend in the States. I would also film it for a documentary of my adventure in Nicaragua. After that we would probably head to the UAE. My wife loves the architecture of The United Arab Emirates. Culminating in the start of a business. I want a pawn shop or a bar. My wife would do something in interior design.

I know begging god to drop a fortune from the sky might sound lazy. I could work hard and make my own fortune. Unfortunately I've been struggling for 15 years and have nothing to show for it. I can barely make ends meets, so how can make a fortune? For now I have to keep my chin up and keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment