Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Perfect Sunday

My life divided in two realms. My family and my job. Everything I do on a daily basis is to appease either side. I work 8 hours 7 days a weeks. The rest of my time is dedicated to my wife and daughter or to my parents. That means I don't get much time for myself. Not to mention the 2 hours a day I spend on the highway. Other then that I write and surf the web. I seldom get to treat myself. Today turned out to be the perfect day for me.


I got up this morning and checked the forecast. It was supposed to be cloudy and with afternoon thunderstorms. I came home with ribs, chicken, sausages, and hot dogs yesterday. I originally planned to cookout yesterday. It was threatening to rain and cool out. My parents had plans so it would've just been the 3 of us. I figure that I would grill early today, before the rain. According to the national weather service it would start to rain at noon. There was a 50% chance of rain. I should have known it was going to be a great day because when I checked the TV listings I noticed that Pawn Stars was going to be on all morning.

After I got up and got dressed I watched a few episodes of Pawn Stars then got to work. I had marinated the ribs and chicken last night. I marinated the beef ribs in Guinness. The last time I grilled I was learning how to use it because it was new. I burned the beef ribs and undercooked the chicken. This time I decided to precook the ribs and chicken in the oven. This way I would just finish them off on the grill. This worked out just fine. Since I was going to be out there for a while I decided to get a chair and a radio.

It was sunny and about 70 at 11 when I started. I got a chair and so did my daughter. I cracked a cold Corona and sat back. There is a stone platform behind my house where I set up the grill. It is the perfect spot. It's right under a shady tree. I turned on the radio to the soft rock station. Soft rock has come a long way. They played some oldies mixed with newer stuff. That means that they played stuff I like and stuff my daughter likes. It seems that they were playing my favorites. I heard Operator by Jim Croce and Daughters by John Mayer. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

After my mom returned from church she cooked some rice and beans. My brother and his kids also stopped by. It was nice to spend time with my family. Today all it fell into place. I chilled. I watch good TV. I grilled. I spent quality time with family. I even got a change to throw back a few. The weather was beautiful. Thank god for such a glorious day. I couldn't have predicted such a great day. I even took a nap while writing this and was awaked by my wife. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment