Sunday, May 8, 2011

This one's for all my moms.

Good fortune is a true blessing. Being alive. Having a great family. The thing I appreciate the most is still having my parents around. I've been one of the lucky ones that was raised by both my parents. They have taught me how to be a better father and husband. Today we in the United States celebrate our mothers. I want to celebrate and honor some of the mothers in my life.


Growing up I guess I was something of a handful. As a kid I got into trouble. As an adult I mad good an bad decisions. My mother, Nubia, always stood by my side. She's 4 foot nothing 120 lbs, but when she's mad I wouldn't mess with her. She raised Johanna, Adolfo, Danelia, and me. She never treated any of us differently. Even today that I am 31, she still "mothers" me. Since we live in the same house, I see her everyday. When I get up at 3 in the morning she is standing at her door. She says good morning. She'll ask me if I need money, and wish me a good day at work. Not only is she a great mom but an outstanding grandmother. Her grand kids all know how much she loves them. She threw them all the best birthday parties. She always has something for them for their birthdays and Christmas' She also is a great mother in law and aunt. Sometimes I think she likes my wife more than me.


Mommy and me


I've had the good fortune of having 3 grandmothers. My moms mom was Isabel. My dad's mom was Carmen. Then there was Ms. Alice. She was my wife's grandmother. I was lucky enough to have met her and spent time with her when she was alive. She was a great mom and grandmother her family. The only thing I lament is that nor she or my other grandmothers ever met my daughter. I think her and Ms. Alice wouldn't been partners in crime. My grandma Carmen died when my father was 17, so I never met her. She and my father were very close. Her passing affected him quite a bit. As for my grandmother Isabel she was around when I was an infant before we came to the states.


Mama Isabel

Grandma Alice holding my wife and her mother Tina


My daughter is one of the luckiest and most spoiled kids, since me. She gets a ton of love from both sides of her family. The best thing that could have happened to her was having a Tameca as her mom. My wife is the best thing I could have asked for in a mom for my daughter. She loves that girl so much. She hand picks everything for her. She reads to her. She sings to her. She's strict when she has to be. They complete me.


My Ladies

I have so many aunts to count, but these ladies are very dear to me. My moms three sisters Luisa, Chilo, and Flori. Even though my mom left Nicaragua 30 years ago she has maintained a close knit relationship with her sisters through time and distance. Chilo raised one son, Mario. She was a disciplinarian. Always with a serious face. I could always make her laugh. My Tia Luisa or "Chita" as she is known is the closest thing to a saint I know after my own mom. She raised her kids and all of their children. She never complained and never gave up. I don't how she managed when her two eldest children died months apart from each other. Flori is my aunt in Florida. She's the youngest of my mothers sisters. She raised my cousin's Isabel, Juan. Carmen, Roxy and Jairo. I have a special connection to her kids especially the two eldest. They came to live with us for a couple of years when I was 12. Since all my brothers and sisters where much older then me, it was nice to have someone to relate to, they are my brothers and sisters too. My wife also has had her aunts be an integral part in her life. In the 9 years that I've been around Lynn has really been a great support for us. She has helped us in so many ways. She raise 3 excellent men, Brent, Curtis and Kwame.


My mom, Tia Chilo, Tia Luisa and Tia Flori

Aunt Lynn


My eldest sister Johanna has one daughter Tania. She has 3 other kids. My sister, my brother, and I. After my mother left Nicaragua with the boys she had to leave her two daughters. My sister Danelia had a physical and mental disability that made it impossible for her to make the journey with us. At 15 Johanna had to put everything on hold and raise her by herself. Today that my brother and I are all grown up and with family's of our own, she still worries about us. She gives us advice and calls on birthdays. She's a great mom.


Adolfo, me, and Johanna


Unfortunately there are too many great moms out there to name. Just know that if you are reading this and have given blood sweat and tears to raise another human being whether they are your blood or not. If you have nurtured, kissed a boo boo, fought somebody else's momma or spanked your kids in public, you are a great mom and we love you. Thanks for everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment