Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Temple Tour

Today we drove around Montgomery and Prince George's county Maryland taking pictures of various temples. It's amazing how diverse the religious community is in this area. We focused on temples that were architecturally appealing.

This what we found.


The Cambodian Buddhist Society Temple in Silver Spring, MD







Since the first time I noticed this structure from New Hampshire Avenue, I have had the urge to see it up close. Today, the Mrs. and I drove out just to do that. I always thought it was bigger. Once you see it up close you realize two things, how intricately ornate the decorations surrounding it are. and how time and weather has affected the exterior.

About half a mile or so down the road we encountered The St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Center. I especially liked the golden domes, the odd shaped windows and the mosaic of St. Andrew in the front.




This next structure is on the Mo Co and P.G. border. I'm not quite sure what it is. I don't think it's a temple. All I know is that it's a new structure and really ornate. It has aspects reminiscent of the Buddhist temple we saw.





Our final stop was The Hindu Temple of Metropolitan Washington on Riggs Rd in Adelphi. I really enjoyed the architectural aspects of the towers and golden domes. My wife liked the marble work on the pergola.





1 comment:

  1. I've actually been to the Cambodian temple, me and Pete went with a friend of mine and even went inside. Not all the way but we did have to take off our shoes! lol Pretty cool that ya'll made this a more interesting hunt. Love the details in the architecture.

    ReplyDelete