Friday, September 28, 2012

Meat Room Manifest

Lately at work I have seen myself becoming some sort of a philosopher on leadership. I've always been one to believe that a generals work is in the trenches with his men. I'm finding out that I can get more people to follow my lead by working side by side with them. As I stand at I my post I find my
self preaching almost philosophizing about my ideas on effective leadership.


"They say it's lonely at the top, and whatever you do, you always gotta watch all the people around, no man is invincible, to plan is foolproof, we all must face our moment of truth" - Guru
Today as I packaged raw chicken and later pumped chicken sausage into a casing of pork intestine, I found my self rattling off my manifesto of leadership. I realized that, and tried to convey to one of my charges that I need them just as much as they need me, by way of the following statement.

"If you all rise I rise, and if I fail you fail, one directly affects the other and visa-versa"

Then later a possible motto or came upon me. As I worked tirelessly, trying to get as much as I could done in a short period of time. My companion for the day also toiling away and diminishing the daily task list bit by bit. As I look up at the counter, I realize that we haven't had any customers all morning. Any other time this would be considered an easy day, yet we focused and plowed through the many chores of the day, instead of resting. It suddenly occurred to me that doing the hard work while you have the time is better than waiting to be  too busy to get anything done.

"It is wiser to work hard when the demand is low, when the business comes, the work will not seem as tiresome" 

No comments:

Post a Comment