Saturday, August 6, 2011

Who said we had to get along anyway?

Recently my niece came to spend a couple of weeks with us from Florida. She has been here over the years, but not long enough to see how things really are around here. I think she was fooled into believing the Maryland families were all united. She doesn't understand why there is so much animosity. Don't get it twisted I can't stand most of them but I won't turn my back on family. They have gotten that "being phony" thing down to a science. I think she has trouble accepting that I always speak the truth, even if sounds ugly.


I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I don't judge anyone for the things they do. I'm not perfect in any sense of the word. I do however know when wrong is wrong. If your wrong I will tell you, even if you don't like. I'm getting tired of my mom's policy of not telling people in the family that they're pissing you off in an attempt to not hurt any ones feelings. I don't give a fuck what people in my family think of me. I do what I do and take care of my own and my things. I like and respect my family as long as I don't have to deal with them everyday. I like my Florida family a lot, because I don't have to see them everyday. However the people that have decided to become squatters in my house, and my cousins that don't call or write, but if you have drama they seem to find out before everyone else, I can't stand.

Family is a funny animal. They think that you have to accept them for all they are. I accept that we all have flaws. I accept that shit happens. I don't accept that you let your kids run amok and expect everyone to counsel them and push them in the right direction. I can't accept that you don't call my mom on her birthday, but as soon as you are behind on the rent you will call her to ask for money to pay your cell phone bill. I don't accept that you have to cancel your cable and never have food in the house, yet you and all you kids have androids and laptops, with 3 incomes in your household. My family has 1 income. I'm never late on the bills. I don't accept that your water is off, and your always eating my food, but you can fly your tenderoni into town for the weekend to kick it. I have no problem with you coming through on the regular, but bring a damn bucket of chicken or a soda every once in a while. It seems like everyday there are more and more people in my house.

Yeah mom I told my daughter that the cake in the fridge was for us and not for them. I'm not being rude, I'm keeping it real. I bought that cake because it is my favorite and would've had to come home to an empty box in the trash, because they would've fucked it up. Then I would've been rude for real for kicking all these people out of my house. The other day one of them had the nerve to ask why we never have anything to drink in the house. Because you never buy anything, you just drink it. I pointed at the faucet and told him we have plenty of water. I'm such a dick, or so my niece seems to think so. My mom seems to think that I should not complain. Oh they are going through a tough time right now. Guess what mom, so am I and everyone else in the world. I want to be supportive, but can't we do this over the phone? I really hate this situation. Either this shit changes or I will probably start looking for another place to live. Maybe we should move to their house, they're never there anyway.

Family is overrated. No one ever seems to be around when I need help. Don't let me throw a cookout though, everybody and their momma wants to be in my house eating and drinking. You can never ask to borrow a few bucks, because they never have it. Your boy got Foamposits in every color though. If you end up in the hospital, they never call or visit. However, everyone knows that you smacked your wife. Family is bullshit. At least mine is. I'm sorry to let you know this chick. Shit will never change. We stay together to appease my mother, but even she don't like them that much. There are some people in my family that I do get along with and they know who they are. That is because they keep it real, and don't try to bullshit me. They understand that there are boundaries. They also call and take the time to get to know me. Half of these people don't even know my birthday or what I do for a living. I've been with my wife for 10 years and they don't know anything about her.

When shit finally goes down, we'll see who your real family is. I bet most of them will not share you last name or even a blood line. I love my family, I don't like them. People grow apart. We've never been united. We just operated under the assumption that we were supposed to like each other. Along that we have let each other get away with anything and everything. Since I didn't subscribe to that bullshit, I was labeled the bad guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment