Thursday, August 11, 2011

Help Wanted - Inquire Within

Why is getting a job such a impossible task? My wife showed me a job application today that she was filling out. It had 10 math problems at the end. What ever happened to the hook up. Back in the day I could get a job by telling my parents to let their friends know I was looking. Once when I was unemployed I was offered a job answering telephones at a cab company that a family friend owned. I also was offered a job at a truck customization shop that a friend worked at. I ended up working at a moving company that a friend worked for at the time. Now a days you need a degree to answer telephones. What ever happened to giving someone a chance.


When I started working at my current company I knew nothing about cutting meat. You would have never convinced me that I would become a butcher. I didn't know the names of the different cuts. Before this job my wife said I had the softest hands of anyone she had known. Now they are covered in scars and calluses. Now I'm an assistant manager with a ton of prospective opportunities. This was only possible because someone took a chance and gave me a shot. I didn't have go through a bunch of rigorous interviews or take some crazy personality test. A friend made a call and set up my interview. I met with the manager, he offered me a job and the rest is history.

What do the people in charge of hiring really expect to learn about you from a multiple choice quiz. Do they not realize that you will answer what you think they want to hear. I also figured out a long time ago that theses quizzes consist of 5 questions worded in several different ways. You probably need a 6th grade education to figure that out. I really think that some people make the decision whether or not to hire you from the first moment of contact. If they read a name like Roberto Jimenez or Shanequa Jones they subconsciously pass. Another instance this occurs is when they first see the candidate. Their chances of being hired are diminished if the person looks at the candidate and thinks, they're too fat, too old, or too young. They may not admit to this but I think it's true. The only time that qualifications matter is when they tell you your overqualified. True the person may have a college degree and wants to answer the phones or sell cars. This is only because they need to pay the bills. Don't they realize if you could get a job in your field you would. Why would you settle for less salary and crazy hours unless you had no choice.

As the economy worsens the job market gets tougher. The unemployment rate raises. You know why? No one wants to hire you. Everyday in the paper and on Craigslist there are a decent amount of job postings. I'm sure many people apply for them. They still don't hire anyone. I guess you have to write at the top of your application "Pick me!!, I'm the one you want!!" to make their decision easier. What happened to the interview process? They never even call you. If your lucky you'll receive an form email saying that they don't think your what they need. How do they know that? Why would they not give you a chance to see what you can do? Instead they look at your resume and think your worthless. Why not have them come in for a day or two and see them in action. My motto is, "I can show you better then I can tell you" What they are truly saying is your writing skills are sub par and I didn't like the font you picked so I can't hire you.

My wife has applied to some retail places and instead of getting a reply or an interview they put her on their mailing list. She was left with no prospect for employment, but now receives their monthly catalog. What the fuck is that? Just because you don't feel I can do the job doesn't mean I don't deserve a formal rejection. Plus if she's looking for work, she obviously has no money to buy your products. Somethings got to give. Prove us wrong. In the past you needed a degree to be hired. Now that she has earned a bachelors, there are still no responses. She earned this expensive education but can't make any money to pay for it. I swear this system is ridiculous.

My message to the recruiters and HR directors is hire hire hire. Give people a chance. Less money and more bills is not the way to fix the economy. Also don't go by first impressions. Maybe the person can't do the job right now, but you may have a fast learner on your hands. Of course if you send them on the their way you will never know. For instance, I have bills to pay and a family to feed. If I needed a job I would do anything you needed me to. I wasn't born and expert at anything. I had to learn to walk and talk. If I can do that, I can do anything. Don't sell yourself short and don't give up. Someone will go against convention and hire you even you don't look the part or you scored low on the math section. Let's go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment