Monday, April 8, 2019

God

Do you believe in God? Do you believe in religion? Do you believe in the church?
Are you an atheist? What is an atheism?



Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods
How do you know that God exists? Why do some people stop believing? Did something happen to them? Is not believing a way to do what you want without consequences? This topic has been on my mind since the day I took this picture. 


So recently I was sitting on the couch, watching TV. I don't remember what I was eating but I got it all over my fingers. There was a container of disinfecting wipes under the coffee table. I grabbed it and opened it. When I pulled a wipe, it separated from the roll revealing the notch that holds the wipes in place. 

I was raised in the catholic church. I grew up with crucifixes and Virgin Mary statues around the house. I can pray a rosary, but haven't been to mass in years. Even I was taken aback when I saw the cross. This wasn't a plain cross cut T. It's got rounded edges and a almost like a halo in the middle. Why do we need such an elaborate cross to pull wipes through? I instantly put myself in an atheist's shoes? Would I be offended if I didn't believe in God? Would I feel personally attacked? I don't know.

In my local news there has been an ongoing battle of whether a memorial built in the 20's to honor Maryland servicemen killed in World War II that shaped like a cross is offensive to atheists. 



Apparently a group of atheists sued the state because The Peace Cross offends their right to not believe in God. I've passed this cross millions of times in my lifetime and never thought of God. It's a landmark. I honestly didn't even know it was a war memorial until the case went to the supreme court. What's interesting is steps away from the the Peace Cross is Balloon Park, where the first unmanned ascension of hot air balloon took place in 1784. Ther sight has been recently marked with a memorial for the historic site. So a balloon flight is more important than the sacrifice made by these young men for their country? Is this case similar or built on the same principles as the people who want Confederate statues taken down?

If you're an atheist, I'd like to know a couple of things. Do you base your commute based on where churches, mosques and synagogues are located in order to avoid them? How offended do you get when you see unsolicited religious iconography? Do you get physically sick? Does it make you want to incite violence? 

I really don't care if a person believes in God. Does this make them a bad person? I know far more religious people that are terrible people. I believe that God exists, but I don't care for the church or the people that run it. Who died and made you king? Why do I have to give you 10%?

Even the catholic church is full of "good" men who have very bad things. I can see why some people leave the church. When I was growing up the head priest of our church, Father Anthony, was a 60 year old Italian American man who everyone revered and loved. There is a picture's of all the kids with him on his birthday at the church cafeteria. About 15 years later when I was in high school, I was watching the news. The same Father Anthony that I knew was convicted for molesting a child back in seventies, years before I knew him, at a different church. He eventually died in jail. 

I feel like the church gives too much power to men. No matter how pious you may appear, you're still a mere mortal. We shouldn't give all of trust to a man. I believe in God, not in people. People are weak, selfish, and just like me.

God does not equal good. When the monster in New Zealand Zealand murdered those innocent people who were worshipping peacefully, he did it with a pretence that he was doing God's work. Many of today's alt right, white nationalist, and white supremacist groups consider themselves Christian soldiers fulfilling God's orders. Any form of extremism can smear the a person's true beliefs.

I'm not here to change anybody's mind. I see God's work in everything I do. I should be dead a couple of times over, but my parents prayers keep me going. I don't read the bible or go to church, but I have a strong relationship with God. I talk to him often. He proves me wrong often. I serve him by treating everyone equally and sharing the knowledge he blessed me with. My fate may be sealed but I'm paying the toll for my daughter and her children. It's never too late to get right. All I'm saying is love each other. Don't let your personal prejudices affect how you treat people. We're all children of the light, no matter what you think powers it.  Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment