Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Anger is Deadly

Why is the world so fixated on anger? Especially my anger. Everyday I'm told that I need to learn to get angry. That it is healthy. The problem is that no one out there understands that when I get angry, it could cost someone their freedom. 

I always have believed that people are inherently good. For that reason, I've always been a reasonable person. I don't ever think how I can screw people or get over. I never look for conflict. I try to make everyone involved leave satisfied.

Don't get me wrong. I was no saint by any stretch of the imagination. When I was a kid. I was a rampant kleptomaniac  I stole anything from anyone that wasn't chained down. Even if I didn't need it. Just to prove it could be done. I was also known for carrying a baseball bat, even though I almost never had to use it.

Lately my resolve has been tested. I don't have a problem with patience. I can wait, unless someone is obviously jerking around and wasting my time. What gets me going is when people can't go beyond their own selfishness and have any consideration for humanity. It can be someone that kills or something as simple as someone who swoops in a steals your packing space.

Today my wife went to buy engine oil for the cars. When I'm about to go to the gym, I go to put the oil in one of the cars. I inspect the bottles and quickly realize that she erroneously purchased transmission fluid. She didn't receive a receipt. On good faith I go the gas station were she bought it. The same gas station we go to on a regular basis. 

I calmly explain to him that my wife got the wrong product, and that I didn't have a receipt. I humbly ask that exchange the product, which costs the same price. He accuses me of lying. My first instinct was to grab him by the throat and smash his face on the counter. I wanted to make another attempt at civility. I walk over to the shelf with the oil and transmission fluid. They only carry the brand that I brought back. None of it name brand, all generic low grade oil.  

That is when I got loud. I tell him all the transmission fluid they have on the shelf is the same as what I brought back. He said nothing. I was so pissed and getting irate  that I noticed the lady buying lottery getting uncomfortable. If it were the other way around, I would have made the exchange and kept a customer. Instead he accuses me of stealing and ignores my respectful plea for respect as a consumer.

I don't like anger. It makes me stupid. I really wanted to hurt this guy and anyone who tried to stop me. Over what? Twenty bucks of oil. I go to jail and he keeps making money off of the patrons he doesn't have any human regard for.

Violence can ever be justified, but it sure does make you feel better. I believe we're all a temper tantrum away from involuntary manslaughter. The rationale in most of us keeps us from flipping. The rest have no such fail safe  There are some people that would have done something about it, and got away with it. I would have gone with my instinct and then felt remorse and done my time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment