Monday, June 6, 2011

The finished product

I finally completed my first restoration projects. I did a Little Learner's cash register from the 50's that I found at a thrift store. When I got it the red paine was faded to pink. It was covered in old stickers. Some of the arms to the keys were bent. The drawer could not open. I took it apart, strainted up all the keys. I polished the buttons. It took 3 days, but I managed to strip all the paint and rust inside and out. I primed and painted it in the original red color. All I need to do now is replace the plastic window which was badly scratched. If interested, make me an offer.







I also restored a wooden radio flyer. This one isn't very old. It was hidden away in the corner of a close friend's deck. It stayed outside for who knows how many years. It was filled up with flower vases and a cool jar. On a previous visit I picked out a few vases and that jar. I had intended to ask his mother about buying the pieces. I got drunk and forgot. On my last visit, I saw the vases and jar I picked out were where I left them. This time I asked his mom about it before I got drunk. She wouldn't take my money and told me I could take everything and the wagon it was in. That is when I realized the vases were sitting in this radio flyer. After sitting outside for so long, the red paint on the rails was faded. The worse ware was in bottom of the wagon. It used to be untreated plywood. It had begun to rot, and got dark rings from bottoms of the vases. Sanding it would have been a waste of time. My father, being a master carpenter, took on the job. He replaced the bottom with a slighty thicker piece of plywood, that he then varnished and laquered He painted the railing with semi-gloss exterior paint in a nice dark red color. It turned out beautifully. It turns out that cool jar was a Hoosier cannister from the 40's. I will keep and cherish the wagon and jar since they came from a special family.





Below is a sneek peek at some my other merchandise. See anything familiar? Lookout for the website coming soon.


1 comment:

  1. Nice work! Could you post up some before pics? I love transformations! Congrats on the new hobby.

    ReplyDelete