Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hispanic Heritage

34 years ago today I was born in Managua Nicaragua. I was born weeks after the triumph of a Communist revolution from which I was named. Weeks before turning 3 we immigrated to the United States settling in North East Washington D.C. I grew up around black kids. We then moved to Langley Park, MD. Believe it or not we were one the first Hispanic families in that neighborhood. Sounds crazy considering that today it is 99.9% Salvadorean.


This was back when everyone assumed that we were Mexican. One thing I was always certain of was that I was Nicaraguan. I grew up with Salvadorean, Black and White kids. I learned to speak fluent English, I also learned to read and write Spanish. Being Hispanic always seemed to be a negative. I was never ashamed of it, but the mainstream idea was the we were all illegal, lazy, drunks, wife beaters and ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite aware that we have our share of fuck ups, as you find in many cultures. The thing was that I grew up in a musical, artistic, and politically versed household.

The reason we were here was because my parents escaped persecution. My father worked closely with government officials just before the revolution. His public affiliations made him a target. My mother was a nurse for the Seguro Social (public health services) She was also affected by the turbulent political climate of the late 70's in Nicaragua. Growing up I heard so many stories of the war and the way things were before the war. I'm certain that if the revolution had never happened, I would have grown up in Nicaragua.

Aside from the many great stories, I grew up in a cultured home. I was raised listening to every style of music from tango to Rock and Roll to Disco to Salsa to Classical to Hip Hop and Folkloric Nicaraguan music. I also learned about all the cultures and ethnicity that make up Nicaragua. I learned about Art, History and world politics. My biggest influence was in the kitchen. My parents both cooked. I learned early on how to cook. I also learned two distinct styles of cooking. My mom cooked more traditional Nicaraguan dishes such as Vigoron, Bajo, Indio Viejo and Nacatamales. My dad was more adventurous in the kitchen. He would experiment with tofu, tempeh, calamari, and other foreign ingredients. I know this sounds common now, but back in the day after he tried Beef and Broccoli for the first time, he went home and created his own recipe until he got it right. To go with it he bought egg roll wrappers and made his own.

Language was another of his passions. He was enamored with proper usage of words and grammar. He would listen to the radio and make jokes on their incorrect use of words and grammar. He also enjoyed history. A big portion of my knowledge of European and Latin American history came from him. He was always proud of the distinction that Granada was the first European city established in mainland America in 1524. He was also a Sports encyclopedia during my formative years. His first love was always Baseball. Boxing was a close second. He can speak on those subjects spanning from the early 1900's and well into modern times.

Being Hispanic to me means so many different things. I don't feel that I have show it in my accent or my style of dress. I don't have to fall into the stereotype that we are criminals, or abusive or alcoholics. We aren't all Mexican, Dominican or Puerto Rican. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I know and respect many well educated persons of those nationalities. We don't all eat tacos and play dominoes. We are all very different and represent our heritage in many different ways. I'm proud of who I am. I'm proud of the people my parents are. I'm not ashamed of any of it. With Hispanic Heritage month looming, I feel that as a people it is important for us to pass our traditions down to our children and their children. Nothing is lost on it's own. Neglect causes things to be forgotten. 

I thank God for these past 34 years. There is nothing that I have been through that I didn't learn a lesson from. I have always had what I needed. I have been blessed to have known so many different people from different walks of life and Nationalities. They have taught me so many different things. I am honored to call them my friends and family. They are my legacy. Now comes the time for me create what will be my contribution to the world. I will not have wasted how many years God will have given me when it's all said and done. I will make my mark and honor my ancestors in the process. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment